Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

275/40/18 2001 Camaro Fit Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 275/40/18 2001 Camaro Fit Question

Hey All, this is my first post to this forum. I've searched and found some conflicting answers so I was hoping someone could help.

I just purchased a set of wheels from OE I got 18x9.5 56mm in the attached pics. I'm trying to figure out what I can do for tire size with no modification. The car is a 2001 convertible Z28 bone stock no suspension adjustment.

OE recommended 275/35/18's all the way around when I asked. They said that was the most common. I've seen some that do 40's and I kind of wanted to do the same to fill the space a bit and better ride but from days worth of looking at posts I cant find for sure if they will rub.

Wondering specifically if anyone running 275/40/18's had any issues with the fronts rubbing? I don't really care if they rub in the parking lot making a lock out turn but in general driving if they are ok. I don't track the car at all, mostly just stop light silliness since its convertible. But I also want it to perform well on the highway. I just think the 35 series will ride more lumberwagon-ish than it already does.

Attached I have some pics of my dirty car in the garage with the 17's and a pic of the box with the rim specs.

If I have to i'll throw 35's on it they just look a bit to rubber bandy to me! Thanks for your help, I cant get any of the sizes locally so I have to order whatever to test.

Thank you!!!

Matt
Attached Thumbnails 275/40/18 2001 Camaro Fit Question-car-1.jpg   275/40/18 2001 Camaro Fit Question-rim-box.jpg   275/40/18 2001 Camaro Fit Question-car-2.jpg  
Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've fought with this for a long time. I know of others on the board that have been able to get an 18 x 9.5 with a 54mm offset on a 275/40/18 without any rubbing issues. In theory (which isn't always perfect due to the range of variances in the production of these cars), if yours was rubbing on the inside, a small spacer should help remedy that.

I've been on the fence because my fronts are on a 58 mm offset (even more likely to have an issue), I'm lowered and like to track the car. All that being said, next set of fronts I need, I will give the 275/40 a try.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight02
I've fought with this for a long time. I know of others on the board that have been able to get an 18 x 9.5 with a 54mm offset on a 275/40/18 without any rubbing issues. In theory (which isn't always perfect due to the range of variances in the production of these cars), if yours was rubbing on the inside, a small spacer should help remedy that.

I've been on the fence because my fronts are on a 58 mm offset (even more likely to have an issue), I'm lowered and like to track the car. All that being said, next set of fronts I need, I will give the 275/40 a try.
Thanks for responding!! I kind of figured as much. It seems like there would be plenty of space just sticking your hand in the well. But once you reach behind the wheel you can feel that its pretty tight. It wouldn't be so bad if anyone near here had these sizes in stock, I could just throw one on and see how it fit!!

Thanks again for the input!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is technically too tall. It may fit, it may rub. Compared to modeern cars the tolerances on these cars are laughable.

Quick Reply: 275/40/18 2001 Camaro Fit Question