Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Tire advice needed (steet/autox setup)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire advice needed (steet/autox setup)

I need advice on what the best option is to run for a street/autox setup.

My original plan was to run 295/35r18 vredesteins or kdw2's on a 18x10.5 wheels all around. However, I feel that these tires wont be able to give me enough grip to be really competitive at my local autocross. I am in between the two options

1) Run 18x10.5's all around with nt05's or g-force rivals. The only downside is that this car is daily driven and I want tires that last around 15k. From my research, you can stretch these tires to that many miles but Ill be doing about 5 autocross events a year so I will probably get less mileage about of them.

2) Have a dedicated street setup and run 18x10.5's all around with cheap tires like sumitomos and then use my stock 10 spokes or 17x9.5 zr1's and run r-compound 285's all around.

Which do you think is a better option financially for those of you who autocross? Also, how long should I expect a set of nt05's or rivals too last?

Old 04-15-2014, 04:56 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Rival wore very well in our testing on the AutoX. Dedicated track tires are not going to the best option on a value aspect. You will be faster of course. You can wear a set of R-Compounds out in a few weekends depending on the tire. My vote would be the Rivals if you get 15k+ for street and auto X thats really not bad.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

It really depends on if you want to run a street tire class or not. I have done my own research and decided on Rivals for AutoX. I plan to try to fit 18x11 with 295/35R18 myself.

SCCA has a new class for muscle cars... Classic American Muscle (I think). If your car is modified this is a good choice I think. It is for street tires.

Brian

Quick Reply: Tire advice needed (steet/autox setup)