Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Polishing not going well. Cloudy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Polishing not going well. Cloudy.

Polishing my ws6 wheels is not going too great. I'm using mothers mag & aluminum polish and a mother power ball. I tapped off an area so you could see the difference. The polish is turning black. There's no clear coat on the wheels. The cloudy part is the area I polished. What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Teching In

try doing an area without the power ball and see if it makes a difference. I usually apply polish with my bare fingers and buff off with a clean micro fiber towel. hope this works for you.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I deleted my post because I didn't read your's all the way through.

The power ball will leave some marring. To get it better I would suggest going with the Billet polish which is finer and a decent MF towel.

Adam's Metal polish is really good but the Billet polish is close and you can get it locally.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

If your doing aluminum and really want to get the mirror shine, use jewelers rouge.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by leftysrepsol
If your doing aluminum and really want to get the mirror shine, use jewelers rouge.
You will need a few things to use that.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:44 PM

Hey I use to polish motorcycle parts and mothers polish is abraisive. You need to use a fine polish. I use a product call semi chrome is real fine and it has no grit. Use a soft tissue paper to rub it on and then use a soft buffing wheel to rub it in let the wheel do the work do not apply any pressure. after the semi chrome polish I use a high gloss polish rouge stick also apply with the buffing wheel you need to use a different buffing wheel with each steps . Hope this helps
Old 05-04-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

So using a pad like the mother power ball (mini) is not what I want to use? What other kind of pad should I use? Polish by hand or by drill? If I polish by hand do I go in circles or in a back in forth line?
Old 05-04-2014, 08:52 PM

you can do it buy hand I rub up and down until it turns black. As far as the cloth wheel there hard and soft wheels buy . but since your rims are already polish. I would just use the soft wheel. You can buy them at sear hardware. I use the wheel with my dewalt grinder ( note I remove the grinding wheel and install the soft wheel pad lol). IF you used the wheel the polish come out better also check out eastwood the sell the six inch wheel. you can just do it buy hand

Last edited by big lou; 05-04-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:47 AM
Teching In

I polished the wheels on my last motorcycle all the way from a painted sand cast finish. Lots of sanding, but since you're already polished, it'll be a lot easier. I use a roto-zip with polishing wheels and rouge. I'd use the soft wheel and fine rouge and it'll come out looking like chrome. As big lou has said, a grinder will do the same thing.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You did strip the clear coat off those wheels first, right? Because if you didn't, metal polish isn't going to do anything at all. Does the polish turn black after a few seconds of scrubbing? If not, then there is clear coat on the wheels.

Edit, I can't read obviously because you said it is turning black. Not sure what else you can try doing. I had great luck with the Adams 1 and 2 metal polish.

Last edited by Rise of the Phoenix; 05-05-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you wet down the power ball and are you using the paste or the liquid made for the ball?

If you are using a dry ball or the paste which is made to be applied by hand, it is likely too rough.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by big lou
Hey I use to polish motorcycle parts and mothers polish is abraisive. You need to use a fine polish. I use a product call semi chrome is real fine and it has no grit. Use a soft tissue paper to rub it on and then use a soft buffing wheel to rub it in let the wheel do the work do not apply any pressure. after the semi chrome polish I use a high gloss polish rouge stick also apply with the buffing wheel you need to use a different buffing wheel with each steps . Hope this helps

Just a correction...The product you're referring to is 'Simichrome'.

It's really good stuff, and I began using it in the early 70s, when I got my first set of aluminum wheels. However, at least for me, it isn't as available as it used to be, at least on a local basis. Lately, I've been using a product called 'Blue Magic', as that's what the guys at CCW told me they were using.

To the OP, if your wheels are still looking cloudy, it's probably because there's still some residual polish on the wheels.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Just a correction...The product you're referring to is 'Simichrome'.

It's really good stuff, and I began using it in the early 70s, when I got my first set of aluminum wheels. However, at least for me, it isn't as available as it used to be, at least on a local basis. Lately, I've been using a product called 'Blue Magic', as that's what the guys at CCW told me they were using.

To the OP, if your wheels are still looking cloudy, it's probably because there's still some residual polish on the wheels.
leadfoot4 your right its is simichrome I stand buy this polish works good
Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

I didn't wet down the power ball I used it right out of the packaging. I'm using the paste kind of polish. I'll try a different pad and a different kind of polish. I used 3 different kinds of stripper to make sure all clear is off. I'll give it another go this weekend.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

if the wheels are as smooth as they look in the pictures, I would get an old sock and turn it inside out and then use the polish you already have by hand...might surprise you
Old 05-09-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ditch the powerball and polish them by hand. It's not that much more effort, really. White diamond metal polish and sealant is an excellent otc polish that can be used with a microfiber towel.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dabest09
Ditch the powerball and polish them by hand. It's not that much more effort, really. White diamond metal polish and sealant is an excellent otc polish that can be used with a microfiber towel.
Agreed. I have used the powerball/cone several times and it never gave me the results I was looking for. However, some people do say, "I'm ate up with this stuff", so that might have something to do with it.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mothers sucks thats why, white diamond best store bought polish, after you do a spot ,rub some polish on with 2 fingers ,then buff with a microfiber,
Old 05-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Captain Double Post

Originally Posted by big lou
you can do it buy hand I rub up and down until it turns black. As far as the cloth wheel there hard and soft wheels buy . but since your rims are already polish. I would just use the soft wheel. You can buy them at sear hardware. I use the wheel with my dewalt grinder ( note I remove the grinding wheel and install the soft wheel pad lol). IF you used the wheel the polish come out better also check out eastwood the sell the six inch wheel. you can just do it buy hand
machine polish is a must for great results, by hand doesnt produce enough heat
Old 05-10-2014, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Use this, buy at Advance auto.

Thanks me later.

Quick Reply: Polishing not going well. Cloudy.