Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

mickey thompson et streets or et street radials?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mickey thompson et streets or et street radials?

Im about to order a set of tires and im not sure which set would be better for me the et streets or the et street radials?
I don't plan on taking these tires on the street too much mostly going to be for track use only.
My car has 4.10's and 400whp plan on doing a 150 shot sooner than later
Old 05-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Teching In

I run ET Street Radials..... Usually dead hook them.....I can spin ET Street Radial 2 though, and haven't tried ET streets - those are bias ply right?
I know a few high 9 / low 10 sec guys running ET Street Radials, pretty fast tires....
Old 05-06-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes ET streets are bias ply.
I've owned em both. The consensus is bias for manuals, radials for autos.
I thought the bias were a little squirrely on the big end...but maybe I was running em too low at around 13-15 psi. I've seen X275 class cars put the radials in the 6's
Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you'll be happier with the radials. From my opinion they hook better, will give you a quicker E and be more stable on the big end. I've run both on several cars and that's always been my experience.

Good luck!

Scott
Old 05-06-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I love my Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials. Great on the street and work great on the track.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ul-ss with a M6 you want to use bias plys. I run M/T ET Street bias plys 26-10.5-16 and they hook great. I've run them down to 13 psi without inner tubes and they don't spin on the rim. The guys at the tire shop I use are very experienced with drag tires and they said they'd be fine without inner tubes. They are alittle squirrely with radials up front but I only use them at the track. If you are going to drive them on the street more I'd go with a DR. You might pop your 10 bolt with 'em.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Im leaning more towards the bias ply now after doin a little more research, are the inner tubes only necessary if your having trouble with spinning your rim inside the tire?
Old 05-06-2014, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

100% the bias ply for 6 speed track use.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ul-ss
Im leaning more towards the bias ply now after doin a little more research, are the inner tubes only necessary if your having trouble with spinning your rim inside the tire?
I only tried inner tubes once years ago and I had one "adhere" itself to the tire and when the tire spun it spun also and ripped the valve stem out. Tire went flat quickly going down the track. Could have been a bad situation. I'm not a fan of them. Don't most tracks want to see steel valve stems on the rear tires for safety purposes? I'm not sure how you would do that with inner tubes unless someone makes one with steel valve stems. ??? IMHO if you can go without them do. I haven't run tubes in YEARS.

Scott
Old 05-07-2014, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ul-ss
No, M/T recommends inner tubes with the bias plys. Tubes stiffen up the side wall in addition to adding weight and $$$ to the setup. When inner tubes are used the tires must be screwed to the rims to keep the tire from spinning on the rim and tearing off the valve stem. There's no downside to not running inner tubes. If the tire spins on the rim without inner tubes you add more air to the tire, or use rim screws.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by guppymech
No, M/T recommends inner tubes with the bias plys. Tubes stiffen up the side wall in addition to adding weight and $$$ to the setup. When inner tubes are used the tires must be screwed to the rims to keep the tire from spinning on the rim and tearing off the valve stem. There's no downside to not running inner tubes. If the tire spins on the rim without inner tubes you add more air to the tire, or use rim screws.
Awesome thanks for the info ill be skipping the inner tube for sure then

Quick Reply: mickey thompson et streets or et street radials?