Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Lock lugs and spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Lock lugs and spare tire

I recently installed my new OE Wheels, and I got a set of nicer looking chromed lock lugs to replace the open ended stock lugs. I was showing them off and my dad made an interesting point - what do you do if you get a flat and need to use the spare?

I thought the idea of locking lugs was to not keep the key with the car, but then you're SOL if you need the spare. Do you guys leave the lock in the car somewhere?

I've only needed to use a spare once in the last 10 years (ran over a big old rusted bolt in my truck), but I could see not having the spare and needing it.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not telling where mine is LOL
Old 05-13-2014, 04:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would personally just hide the lug lock somewhere in the car. You could hide it in the wheel well where the spare goes.

Most thiefs want to get in and get out quick, and taking interior pieces apart wouldn't be quick
Old 05-13-2014, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The key is supposed to stay in the car. Lock nuts are for keeping thieves from stealing the wheels without having to break into the car because typically the car will have an alarm on it, whereas just taking the wheels off is far less of a hassle and often won't set off any alarms.

Some people hide it, but I just keep mine in the console. If they've made it that far, the wheels are the last of my concern, and honestly, theirs as well.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:51 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not like the locking lugs are really stopping anything, either. Locking lugs just create the illusion of security, most of them can be removed with basic tools.

Last edited by DrEvyl; 05-16-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Lock lugs and spare tire