Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need some help getting these wheel locks off..

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:35 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need some help getting these wheel locks off..

Been at this for a week or so, want to see if I can get some other ideas.

Anyway, I discovered that when I bought my Formula back they did not include the key to the wheel locks with the car. I've attempted to get it off using a few tools that are supposed to remove them, but have failed. I also took it to two different tire shops, and they couldn't get them off, either. Part of the issue is how tight the space is... I could probably get them off pretty easily if there was more room... but it's super tight and I'm trying not to damage the wheels.

I dunno if anyone has any suggestions... but I'd really like to get my wheels off so I can install my new shocks / springs.

Here's some pictures of the wheel locks.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

tough call...

wonder if you could dremel a slot in the end and try to crack it with a chisel or basically turn it into a flat head screw?

I hate wheel locks

what about one of those "gator grip" sockets that use lock pins to conform to the bolt they are used on, if a couple pins line up in those slots it might be enough grip to loosen it

like this:
Old 05-21-2014, 03:04 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
wonder if you could dremel a slot in the end and try to crack it with a chisel
I'd be too concerned with damaging the wheel. I already took a chip out of one of the rear wheels trying to get them off. The pictures are a little misleading in the sense of how deep that hole is - it's probably 2" deep.

or basically turn it into a flat head screw?
Slim chance that would work on the front wheels... wouldn't work on the rear. The rear wheels have longer studs on them.

I hate wheel locks
You and me both. wheel locks

what about one of those "gator grip" sockets that use lock pins to conform to the bolt they are used on, if a couple pins line up in those slots it might be enough grip to loosen it
Probably the most viable option so far... I'd have to find one of these things, and try it. Not sure who sells them locally... I will have to look around.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Walmart stocks them here

The only other idea I have would involve being able to grind the chrome off and weld a bolt or nut to the lock which doesn't have a high chance of success.

Sucks man..
Old 05-21-2014, 06:01 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Walmart stocks them here

The only other idea I have would involve being able to grind the chrome off and weld a bolt or nut to the lock which doesn't have a high chance of success.

Sucks man..
Yeah, no way I could weld something on... it's too deep in there and the rear wheel studs stick out of the lock nut about 3/4" or so... not to mention that I don't have a welder. LOL

I usually avoid Walmart like the plague.. but maybe I'll have to try that out.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

different senario mine were exposed more, but to sell my old camaro had to remove 4 of them, ended up buying a deepwell socket 13/16 maybe? pounded it on the lock and then was able to breaker bar it right off. i bought a craftsman socket as they have a lifetime replacement.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

do you happen to have any idea what brand the wheel nuts are ? have you checked online for different wheel lock sockets?
Old 05-22-2014, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with a Snap On or Mac tool vendor, they maked knurled sockets just for removing wheel locks. Its kinda like a female "easy-out". Hammer it on the lock and take it off. It will destroy the lock but if you dont have the key it doesnt matter. Most of my techs have one since half the cars traded that have wheel locks on them never come with the key.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Teching In

You might try to drill the stud out, but wheel studs are pretty hard and then you'd have to replace the 4 wheel studs. I drilled some out for a customer when I worked in the dealership, but it was a real pain.

Snap on has a "turbo socket" in the master lock lug removal kit that you hammer on the lugs and then has a punch to remove the nut from the socket. As you try to remove the nut, it tightens itself down. It's in a kit, but I don't know if you can purchase it by itself.

Last edited by Rockhound; 05-22-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:21 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
do you happen to have any idea what brand the wheel nuts are ? have you checked online for different wheel lock sockets?
No idea what brand they are... they were put on the car by the previous owner, and there's no paperwork whatsoever regarding them. After talking to the dealer it may be a case that THEY took it out and forgot to give it to me when I bought it back.

I have looked online for sockets, yes.. I've tried two different ones so far. The things ain't cheap and once you use it you're stuck with it.. so I am a little hesitant to keep trying them.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:26 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by hardbones
Check with a Snap On or Mac tool vendor, they maked knurled sockets just for removing wheel locks. Its kinda like a female "easy-out". Hammer it on the lock and take it off. It will destroy the lock but if you dont have the key it doesnt matter. Most of my techs have one since half the cars traded that have wheel locks on them never come with the key.
I've seen a lot of these... problem that I've been running into is that many of them don't fit inside the hole in the wheel. A lot of them have a small opening, but then the back end of it is considerably wider. So the ones I've found wouldn't fit far enough inside the hole to reach the lug. I haven't looked at Snap-On or Mac specifically, but I'll check them out.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:28 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Rockhound
You might try to drill the stud out, but wheel studs are pretty hard and then you'd have to replace the 4 wheel studs. I drilled some out for a customer when I worked in the dealership, but it was a real pain.
At this point I am basically stuck with having to do whatever it takes. I'm trying to avoid this option at all costs, though...
Old 05-22-2014, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

For the rear, could you possibly pull the axle out with the wheel on it? I'm thinking that would involve disconnecting the brake line and caliper from the backing plate, then pulling the axle off with the wheel, rotor and caliper. When it's off, maybe you could cut the stud from behind to avoid damage to the wheel... maybe?

For the front, disconnect the caliper from the spindle, disconnect the brake line and unbolt the hub to gain access to the back of the studs to cut them there... again, maybe? I've never tried this, but your wheels are big and you may be able to get enough access.

Dang, I feel your pain. Good luck, man.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
No idea what brand they are... they were put on the car by the previous owner, and there's no paperwork whatsoever regarding them. After talking to the dealer it may be a case that THEY took it out and forgot to give it to me when I bought it back.
You might want to talk to the dealer again if they sold you a car without the key to get the wheels off. See if they can help you out a little bit as this situation you're in is of no fault of your own.....
Old 05-22-2014, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rockhound

You might want to talk to the dealer again if they sold you a car without the key to get the wheels off. See if they can help you out a little bit as this situation you're in is of no fault of your own.....

Good advice. They make a socket just for that purpose. Easier that way.
You can't get the axle out with the wheel on.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the dealer wont help find a local wheel & tire shop, they are equipted to deal with things like that on a daily basis. It might cost $20 but it will be worth not screwing up your wheels.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:45 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by hardbones
If the dealer wont help find a local wheel & tire shop, they are equipted to deal with things like that on a daily basis. It might cost $20 but it will be worth not screwing up your wheels.
Well, right now my only viable option is over $400... so I have no problem with spending $20.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDEP162
different senario mine were exposed more, but to sell my old camaro had to remove 4 of them, ended up buying a deepwell socket 13/16 maybe? pounded it on the lock and then was able to breaker bar it right off. i bought a craftsman socket as they have a lifetime replacement.
Do this, I had a wheel lock break on me and I couldn't get the locks off my truck. The holes were very similar to your wheels and after I was quoted like $200 to get them off I took matters into my own hands. Go to Harbor Freight or some cheap tool store and buy a 12 point 1/2 inch socket that'll be just a little smaller than the width of the lock then hammer it on while making sure it goes on straight and doesn't damage your wheel. Then use your ratchet to remove the socket and wheel lock with it. It'll be impossible to remove so get 4 sockets and don't use your nice sockets like I did for the first one...
Old 05-22-2014, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverWS.6
Do this, I had a wheel lock break on me and I couldn't get the locks off my truck. The holes were very similar to your wheels and after I was quoted like $200 to get them off I took matters into my own hands. Go to Harbor Freight or some cheap tool store and buy a 12 point 1/2 inch socket that'll be just a little smaller than the width of the lock then hammer it on while making sure it goes on straight and doesn't damage your wheel. Then use your ratchet to remove the socket and wheel lock with it. It'll be impossible to remove so get 4 sockets and don't use your nice sockets like I did for the first one...
yeah i had good luck with it, watched a youtube video and copied. good point on the 12 point socket forgot to say that, and when i got one off, put socket in a vice, and arod through it and pounded the wheel lock out, used same socket for all 4. the last one is still in the socket tho! hate those freaking locks!
edit:heres some pics of the socket i used, 21mm 12pt craftsman. worked well

Last edited by JDEP162; 05-22-2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: pics
Old 05-22-2014, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

trying load pic...
Attached Thumbnails Need some help getting these wheel locks off..-cam00260.jpg   Need some help getting these wheel locks off..-cam00261.jpg  

Quick Reply: Need some help getting these wheel locks off..