Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Shopping for staggered set up, please help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for staggered set up, please help?

Hello everyone,

So the wife and I are ready to get some new shoes for the 99 Firebird (original owners) Right now it stands on the stock 5 star rims 16". I am almost about to bite the bullet on some MRR GTI stagger wheels for a C5 corvette.

The fronts are 18" 8.5 with a +35 offset 1" lip and the rears are 19" 9.5 with a +45 offset 3" lip. What type of modifications would I be getting involved with in this set up? What size tires should I consider dressing them up with? It's the only style I'm digging other then the famous CCW 505A's but unfortunately my pockets ain't that deep.

I figure I ask you folks that have gone thru the transition multiple times before I make a purchase. BTW great site, cool vibe and lots of information being shared.

Regards
Garry

Last edited by The godafther; 07-28-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think that setup will fit but you didn't mention the offset for the rear wheels. I just put on new wheels 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear with 40 mm offset all around. Tires are 245/35/19 and 295/30/19, had slight rubbing in the rear so I rolled my fenders slightly. Car is also lowered about 1.5". If your offset is also 35 mm in the rear most likely you'll need to roll your fenders also! Here is a pic of my car
Old 07-28-2014, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the response WhiteHeartBeat, I'm sorry correction has been made. The rear is a +45 offset.

I've seen your thread on your car and I think it's awesome. I've read pretty much all the threads on here concerning wheels and tires. Haven't really found something comfortable to make me do the purchase so this is why I started this thread to see if I can get some help and avoid reselling something I bought. How is the ride quality with the 19" all around? I saw a thread speaking of horror stories with the 18/19 ride quality. What would you change if you could go back?
Old 07-28-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't change a thing! I love the look of 19's and absolutely hate the 17/18 or 18/19 combo. I honestly can't tell the difference going from 18 to 19. Also with 45mm offset you shouldn't have no issues cause my last wheels were 18x9.5 with 44mm and no rubbing at all with 285/35/18 tires.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:17 PM

Well sir, I'm happy to say that I made the purchase and my choice of size is 19" 8.5 fronts and 19" 9.5 rears, lugs and hub rings included. I couldn't resist how good your ride looks with the 19's all around. Now it's time to get some rubber at a good deal and quality.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The godafther
Well sir, I'm happy to say that I made the purchase and my choice of size is 19" 8.5 fronts and 19" 9.5 rears, lugs and hub rings included. I couldn't resist how good your ride looks with the 19's all around. Now it's time to get some rubber at a good deal and quality.

Thanks for your help.
That's great and thank you! Looking forward to some pics!!!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 AM

Yeah about the pictures.........Yeah I'm doing lots of clean up and upgrades due to the mother in law having the car for 7 years. We all know how well you take care of stuff when you don't pay for it. I figure I'll start with wheels and tires, brakes and rotors, suspension, interior comestic repairs, maybe a mellow body kit or a TA body if found at a good price and finally body and paint. I would just get a clean TA and call it the day but the f@cking wife is in love with the VIN numbers.

What brand tires are you using? I'm looking at the Conti extreme contact DWS. I've heard and read good things about them. Or should I just get the DW models?

Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got a set of Bridgestone Potenza S04's got everything installed/alignment for $850 out the door at a local shop!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:17 PM

Default Update with Pic's

Well after a long couple of weeks dealing with the wheels purchase I was also involved with a bucket of worms generated by the F@cking in laws before they bought a new Camaro and ran the bird to the ground. Oh wait till I get my hands on that @#$%$#@.

MMR GT1 19's 8.5 front, 9.5 rears wrapped in DSW Extreme Contact Continentals, Brake-Motive slotted/cross-drilled rotors & pads, ball joints all the way around, tie rods, rear bearings and seals, fresh fluids, A/C system, replaced broken window brackets. Got tired of seeing the paint all faded and nasty so the compound buffer and waxes came out. And the list goes on, right now I think my next step will be lowering springs and shocks. Have to re-cooperate from the crazy expenses.

Well enjoy the pics, once I get the hood, side mirrors and headlight covers painted I'll post some front end shots. Any ideas for a front lip spoiler?

Old 08-28-2014, 06:25 PM

I forgot to thank you White Heart Beat for the wheel and tire sizes. I'm happy with the set up.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good. Now lower it

I have 19's on mine I love them

Old 08-30-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by WidowMaker_13
looks good. Now lower it

I have 19's on mine I love them
What are you using?

Yeah I know, I'm looking at the BMR springs but don't know what shock combos to use. All these susppenssion threads become pissing contest as to what to use for our cars. Just street no track.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The godafther
What are you using?

Yeah I know, I'm looking at the BMR springs but don't know what shock combos to use. All these susppenssion threads become pissing contest as to what to use for our cars. Just street no track.
I have QA1 fully adjustable coil overs on all four corners. Kinda best of both worlds I guess. You can adjust it to where you want. I have it about an inch or so lowered in the front. the rear is stock height. The rear tires are 11" wide and I have 285 so without the fenders rolled it rubbed pretty good with it lowered, so I just took it back up to stock height for now. Plus I have a 4" exhaust that hangs fairly low.

Quick Reply: Shopping for staggered set up, please help?