Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What does not look right here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What does not look right here?

First off these will be installed on a black T/A. Bought some TSW Nurburgring rims in matte gunmetal and they arrived in quite a lighter shade than pictured on either Summit or TSW's website. I also ordered a set of Mcgard black splined lug nuts (thinking the rims would be darker). I got the wheels yesterday and was first surprised by how light in color they were and then how terrible they looked when I put the lug nuts in the holes to give it a test look. At first I thought it was just the rims being too light (which they are) or the nuts being black. After staring at it for an hour or two I figured out what the problem was. THE CENTER CAPS!

In pictures they are satin and run flush with the face of the wheel but the ones I received have this ugly chrome lip around the center insert and it looks terrible with the black lugs. Now I don't know if I should paint the chrome part gloss black or call TSW and see if they have a different center cap available or send them back to Summit since they do not look like the finish pictured and get the machined face version. The only thing that scares me about getting the machined finish version is getting the same center caps with the out of place chrome ring around them.

Anybody have any better ideas? Note that my pictures are in the house, in the sunlight these things brighten up more.

TSW link to what is supposed to be the same finish http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_nurburgring.php

And the summit link
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tww-65805
Attached Thumbnails What does not look right here?-img_1559.jpg   What does not look right here?-img_1558.jpg   What does not look right here?-img_1557.jpg   What does not look right here?-img_1556.jpg  
Old 08-16-2014, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Use your existing OEM caps with these wheels - both the Summit and TSW sites show a generic cap for illustration purposes only.
Are the center caps plastic or metal? If metal, then I would either have them powder coated or simply send them back to Summit for an exchange or refund.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Launching!

The chrome ring is the actual plastic center cap and the satin part that says TSW seems to be a metallic piece (maybe aluminum) with adhesive backing to attach to the plastic part so no powder coating. I will have to look at my current center caps but I have 16" take-offs so I think the center says something stupid like ABS or something.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:50 AM
Staging Lane

I would just paint the chrome.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:53 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they look great anyway
Old 08-17-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that when the wheel is upright the color will darken somewhat. I would call them and see if they have a different cap.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO being that the wheels are such a light shade
they will not look that good on your black TA as lets say a dark black set would look

these wheels in this gun metal color would like beautiful on a white TA

I still don't know why TSW never went with a gloss black or matte black color option
Old 08-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EFoxwell
I would just paint the chrome.
Was thinking about this just concerned the paint won't hold up on the plastic especially given the heat. Any recommendations on paint type/brand.

Originally Posted by flyingbrick88
I think they look great anyway
Thank you, I think they look good too, it's just that I sinking a lot of money into this car including $1200 for the wheels, $110 for nuts, and $700+ for tires so I am just being ****.

Originally Posted by Furious1
Keep in mind that when the wheel is upright the color will darken somewhat. I would call them and see if they have a different cap.
Yeah I had it sitting next to the car 10 minutes after I received the package. Without sunlight they were still pretty bright but looked better than I thought they would. I think I will call them monday and see what else they offer.

Originally Posted by 69TA
IMO being that the wheels are such a light shade
they will not look that good on your black TA as lets say a dark black set would look these wheels in this gun metal color would like beautiful on a white TA. I still don't know why TSW never went with a gloss black or matte black color option
I agree, I wish they looked more like the pictures

Any other opinions, all welcome.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I will almost never go off of stock website images for color reference. They always are enhanced, and not always for the better.

These rims seem to be jeckle and hyde'ish. Some pics they look like what you posted, but in different lights they look dark like in the website pics.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Well I decided to paint the chrome ring part of the center cap black and see what that looks like. Started to scuff the chrome plastic and low and behold it begins to look like brushed aluminum or wound stainless just like the insert for the center cap. Almost a dead match, I'll see what it looks like when I get the wheels back tomorrow but it seems like problem solved, at least I hope.

Quick Reply: What does not look right here?