Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Street tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street tire suggestions

Hey I have a 2000 z28. Dynod 348/345 hp/tq. (4:11 gears) I'm currently running some cheapy federal SS595's(not a bad tire for the price tbh) but they're horrendous hooking up... I'm not sure I want an NT05R because it's my DD..so I drive in the rain frequently. I was looking at toyo TQ's but they became unavailable.

My question is, what do you guys think would be the best? Nt555/555R's? I need better traction. Just looking for some opinions, thanks!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you DD the car, you "probably" do not want any Drag Radial as you willl ikely be replacing them yearly. One thing to keep in mind id that any drag radial (no matter what you read on hear) is molded with less tread depth than a similar design tire (NT-555R/NT-555) and will therefore be more prone to hydroplaning. I am sure a NT-555 will far outperfom what you have, and be well suited for DD duty. If you can live with some compromises an NT-555R would probably be a solid choice. You also live in a cold weather state, if you DD in the winter, you probably need to seriously consider an all season tire. Max Perfomance and drag radials will be limited in cold/adverse weather.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, I drive my truck in the winter. I don't really drive the car a lot of miles when I dd it. I live 1/4 mile from work. Most I'd drive at one time would be 120 miles up to my camp. Mostly highway, and what's not highway is fast back roads. I put around 7k maybe 8 a year. I'm fun a keep the federals for the front. And just grab 2 rear tires. And then when the current fronts wear out I'll put the ones that I'm taking off the rear on the front.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had NT-555R's and have NT-05's (not R) now. Thw NT-555R's were better in a straight line than the NT-05's, but the NT-05's are superior on curvy roads. The NT-05's are still pretty good hooking up, better than the Michelin all seasons I had, just not as good as the drag radial, which is to be expected. With the drag radial you could feel the softer sidewall in the corners. Just depends what you prefer. Th NT555R's could be a little iffy in heavy rain, especially once they started to wear down.

Quick Reply: Street tire suggestions