Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Rear driver side wheel question, help!

Old 09-13-2014, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Rear driver side wheel question, help!

I don't know if this thread goes here or in the suspension/brake section but here is the deal, I installed new set of wheels and tires (Michelin PSS's 18/35/275 all around) and Strano/Koni springs in the last month. Car drives great and I feel no vibrations or anything.

The other day a friend of mine told me he noticed a slight wobble on the rear driver side wheel. I have noticed a sort of squeaking noise from that side of the car when I start moving and a weird break noise when I apply the brakes at really slow speeds (kinda like how a semi sounds). The brake noise has been very intermittent while the squeaking I hear it all the time.

I work for a Toyota dealership and I had one of the mechanics take a quick look at it yesterday and while it was sitting there he noticed that that specific wheel is pointing inward a bit. Like if it has Toe-in sort of, is this normal? Im assuming it isn't since the other rear wheel looks straight. Could that be causing the slight wobble my friend saw?

The wheels and tires have been on for about a month (balanced and aligned) and the Koni/Stranos for a week but I haven't had it aligned after the suspension upgrade since I want to figure this out first. The car is a 2002 Z28 6Spd with 61K miles. Any help is greatly appreciated and sorry for the long post!

Last edited by L3THAL_Z28; 09-13-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nobody has any suggestion and/or input? That's hard to believe!!
Old 09-17-2014, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone??
Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Since it is a SRA there really is no alignment that you can do, unless you got aftermarket adjustable arms. But even so, a wobble wouldn't be alignment, but a bent axle. Spin it and see if it looks like it wobbles. Maybe reseat the wheel and inspect the lugs to be sure it isn't coming loose for some reason like a bent stud or something.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Would a bent axle make any distinct or loud constant noises?
Old 09-18-2014, 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28
Would a bent axle make any distinct or loud constant noises?
Possibly, it the rotors are also wobbling, and slapping the brake pads around a little.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue. My driver side wheel wobbled a bit but never had any vibration. Had a squeak from it too. Turned out the axle was bent at the hub and was causing a squeak from the brakes at all times while driving. Installed new axles and everything was normal again. Possibly your axle needs to be replaced but might as well do both because you have to dissassemble everything anyways. Hope this helps you. Best of luck!
Old 09-10-2015, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE: I replaced the entire rear end with one with 4.10 gears, new bearings, axles and seals. The only reused part were my backing plates, calipers and rotors. Wheel still wobbles. If it wasn't a bent axle or bad bearing what could it be? Can't figure it out, only thing left to change would be either the caliper or the rotors. But could that cause the wheel wobble?
Old 09-11-2015, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

If the rotor isn't flat then that could set it wobbling. Or it could be the wheel itself.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I had already checked the wheels. Swapped them side to side and whatever wheel is on the rear passenger side wobbles
Old 09-11-2015, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Has to be rotor then, that's the only thing I can think of at this point.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to swap rear rotors before I throw any more money at it. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

ANOTHER UPDATE: Swapped in new rotors and pads, re-greased all pins and contact points while I was in there. Passenger side wheel is fine now according to a buddy of mine who was looking at it while I was driving. He said the Driver side wheel has a small wobble however. So now I'm thinking it's one of two things, either the caliper might be going out and maybe not retracting fully (old brake pads were wearing unevenly on driver side) or maybe it is a bent wheel afterall. I'm gonna swap that wheel to the front and see if the problem persists with front wheel now in the back.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

SRA is not like IRS. IRS can move... independent from each other. SRA is all welded together between the hubs. The vibration wobble usually means wheel bearings.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...rings-bad.html

CLOSELY inspect both spindles/hubs. Verify all nuts and bolts are torqued to spec (tech there should be able to pull up details with alldata). Check for uneven wear on tires and rotors, check the caliper sliders are good.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Stocker, the bearings have been ruled out. I put in another rear end with new bearings, seals and axles and the wheel wobble was still there after the swap. Everything is nice and tight and the wobble has gone from one side to the other. Only thing left to do is swap the front wheel to the back and the back wheel to the front. If the wobble doesn't follow the wheel to the front then the only part left to change will be the calipers.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE: Rotated and torqued down all the wheels. Moved Front wheels to the back and backs to front. Slight wobble persists on drive side. I'm running out of ideas, anyone have any other suggestions?

I have put in a new rear end with new axles, bearings and seals. New rotors and pads. The only things that haven't been touched/swapped are the calipers and backing plates.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the condition of the bushings in your rear trailing arm and/or the panhard bar? Possible it's not the wheel wobbling, but the rear axle itself, moving around under load.

I know it's an "off the wall" thought, but it looks like you've covered all of the other bases.....
Old 02-23-2016, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
What's the condition of the bushings in your rear trailing arm and/or the panhard bar? Possible it's not the wheel wobbling, but the rear axle itself, moving around under load.

I know it's an "off the wall" thought, but it looks like you've covered all of the other bases.....
That's a good question, I haven't taken a look at any of the bushings at the back other than my end links on the swaybars. If those are any indication on how the others are then they're probably all shot to hell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear driver side wheel question, help!