Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How to ship set of 4 tires/rims?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to ship set of 4 tires/rims?

Hi there. My boss has asked me to look into selling a set of Cadillac Escalade wheels he has laying around. These are 22 inch tires on Caddy rims, so a complete set, but how the heck does one ship these?

In researching I see UPS can ship loose tires with a simple label, but what about complete wheels? I also saw ShipNex. Are there any other places I should be looking at?

This website has what appear to be some good instructions to package the wheels...

http://howtoshipwheels.com/HowToShipWheelsWithTires/

This is all brand new to me so I don't want to screw up and tick off the boss.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Blythe
Hi there. My boss has asked me to look into selling a set of Cadillac Escalade wheels he has laying around. These are 22 inch tires on Caddy rims, so a complete set, but how the heck does one ship these?

In researching I see UPS can ship loose tires with a simple label, but what about complete wheels? I also saw ShipNex. Are there any other places I should be looking at?

This website has what appear to be some good instructions to package the wheels...

http://howtoshipwheels.com/HowToShipWheelsWithTires/

This is all brand new to me so I don't want to screw up and tick off the boss.

I'm in the same position, as I'm looking to put a set of wheels/tires on E-bay, and I don't want to overprice the shipping, scaring someone off, but I don't want to lose my shirt, either....
Old 11-04-2014, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not shipped, but received a set of 4 tires. They were sent in pairs shrink wrapped together. It seemed to work perfectly.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Easiest way it to just put some cardboard on the face of wheel to protect them and tape it down. Then slap the shipping label right on tread of tire and ship each one individually. I mailed 2 different sets of 4 tires/rims like this before.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...eels-Must-Read!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Undertow74
Easiest way it to just put some cardboard on the face of wheel to protect them and tape it down. Then slap the shipping label right on tread of tire and ship each one individually. I mailed 2 different sets of 4 tires/rims like this before.
Who did you use for a shipping service? From what I've seen, it can get pretty expensive through UPS or FedEx. For example, last year, I sold a single wheel, in a box and shipped it to a fellow in CA. It cost $53-54, just for one wheel......

Seems like when I've bought wheels and snow tires from TireRack, the shipping is only like $100 for all four!
Old 11-06-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are big premiums for all the shippers if you exceed a certain size or weight. When shipping tires it was cheaper to ship two wrapped together rather than as 4 in a stack. I looked at several options and FEDEX was cheaper than USPS or UPS. I shipped those 4 tires (25 lbs per tire) for around $80 total. The rims complicate things with a lot more weight.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

take a look at uline moving boxes.

I recently shipped wheels & tires.
26" diameter with tire on a 18" wheel and they fit in a 27" box.

Alternative is what others said about shrink wrap and covering face of wheel with card board.

Big companies like tire rack get discounted rates from shipping companies for being a large volume shipper.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best and safest way is to put them on a pallet and send them truck freight. When you ship UPS and FedEx they are throwing them around city to city vs them being stationary on a pallet. Don't get me wrong I've shipped big wheels UPS and FedEx and never had a single set damaged. I just shipped some escalade 22's wheels and tires from AL to VA via YRC freight. Just stack the wheels face up and put a layer of card board between each wheel and flip the top wheel face down. Shrink wrap the wheels together then band them to the pallet to secure them.

Here's the set I shiped last month I used boxes since I had them but honestly a sheet of card board in the middle will work. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails How to ship set of 4 tires/rims?-wheels.jpg  

Last edited by DwDrummer; 11-07-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply: How to ship set of 4 tires/rims?