Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Eagle F1 cracking between tread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eagle F1 cracking between tread

Has anyone had this issue, only slightly over 1000 miles on them? Not even 10 months old.
Attached Thumbnails Eagle F1 cracking between tread-image.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

overinflated? or check the date code, maybe they're old
Old 11-21-2014, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

I have no clue where your from but they're known to crack in the cold, mostly on the sidewalls and shoulders though.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Wow, for a 10 month old 1,000 mile used tire, I would consider that amount of cracking to be very bad. Cracks of this nature will develop over time and especially with all-weather usage, but nothing like that should ever be present on such a new tire.

To put this into perspective, I have 9+ year old BFGs on my garage queen and there is nothing like that anywhere on the tires.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:09 AM
Teching In

I ran them at 34 psi. And It shouldn't be a problem. I'm from Midwest and it does get cold. Two in the front are like this, almost going all the way around. And the other 2, just have a half an inch mark, as it just started doing this.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Just an update, I got in touch with good year and they'll take care of me, they'll give me new tires, free mounting and balancing. So that's nice at least, but hopefully this issue does not come back.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

That's good to know they stood behind their screw up, I'm still curious to know what caused it.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by savage388
That's good to know they stood behind their screw up, I'm still curious to know what causyed it.
Yes, I called my local good year shop, I didn't even buy it from them, and I told the guy, so he was like bring them in. As soon as he looked at it, he goes, let me email the big shots to get the approval, and next thing I know, the shop manager calls me and says he ordered new ones. he just said good year tanks behind their product, which is good to know.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:19 AM

I had a Charger R/T Mopar 11 that came with Goodyear F1 supercar tires. They cracked between the tread blocks. I did a bunch of research and found It is a very common issue if the vehicle is driven in temperatures below 34 degrees. I know it sounds ridiculous... but it's true. Dealers are told to not even move the cars on the lot when temps are below freezing. Tires will possibly crack. ZL1 Camaros are affected in particular. Your car with only 1k miles must have started cracking on the lot.

Glad you got them to give you new tires. They really should tell people this info when they buy a car with these tires, but you know how that goes. I was really pissed when it happened to me, since I purchased the car in December... in Massachusetts. I thought they should have warned me of potential tire failure.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 427-Vette
I had a Charger R/T Mopar 11 that came with Goodyear F1 supercar tires. They cracked between the tread blocks. I did a bunch of research and found It is a very common issue if the vehicle is driven in temperatures below 34 degrees. I know it sounds ridiculous... but it's true. Dealers are told to not even move the cars on the lot when temps are below freezing. Tires will possibly crack. ZL1 Camaros are affected in particular. Your car with only 1k miles must have started cracking on the lot.

Glad you got them to give you new tires. They really should tell people this info when they buy a car with these tires, but you know how that goes. I was really pissed when it happened to me, since I purchased the car in December... in Massachusetts. I thought they should have warned me of potential tire failure.
I should've added I just took my old eagle f1s off for winter and they were all cracked in what remained of them. Definitely a cold weather problem- the 40 degree warning from Goodyear should be take more seriously I guess.

Quick Reply: Eagle F1 cracking between tread