Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Fikse FM5 refinish opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Fikse FM5 refinish opinions

Picked up a set of used FM5s. I polished the barrels and cleaned them up. I've already polished a couple of the centers but Im contemplating doing a brushed look on all of them. I did one to see what it looks like and was wondering what you guys thought.

The polished centers looks nice but I know they are alot of work to keep looking good. If I brush the centers I can apply a clear powder coat over them or even with automotive clear and a spray gun.

Here are some pics let me know what you think. I'll probably be selling them too I don't know if I want to replace my classics on my SS with these.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I always liked the polished centers but like you said the upkeep is already rough with just polished lips. I guess chrome for the centers is an option if you want bling but I dont know if that would look weird against polished lips.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brushed gets the nod. True, polished centers are routine maintenance. My lack of enthusiasm for them is loss of detail in the cnc artistry. They scatter light so all that is seen is gleam, glare and reflections. Brushed on the other hand draws you into its detail which, to me is striking.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have a hard time stripping the original coating on the centers? How did you achieve the consistent brushed finish? I like the bushed better btw.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
Brushed gets the nod. True, polished centers are routine maintenance. My lack of enthusiasm for them is loss of detail in the cnc artistry. They scatter light so all that is seen is gleam, glare and reflections. Brushed on the other hand draws you into its detail which, to me is striking.
I agree. Im gonna do the brushed finish on the rest.
Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Did you have a hard time stripping the original coating on the centers? How did you achieve the consistent brushed finish? I like the bushed better btw.
This particlar set was older so the original coating was very thin in most places and in others it had already pretty much dissappeared. I did the brushed finish by hand with a red scotchbrite pad.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've owned Fikse Profil F5's, which had the technipolish center, and it was a lot easier to keep clean. I've also owned CCW 505'a wheels, which were bare polished aluminum, and they were a bitch to keep clean. I literally polished them every time after driving the car. I also have terrible OCD when it comes to that kind of stuff, but that's another story. Now I have Race Star Dark Star wheels, and damn they are easy to keep clean. If I were you, I would go with the brushed centers, or even maybe try some type of subtle silver/grey/pewter/black chorme. Always thought that would look nice.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I practiced clear coating a scrap piece of brushed aluminum and I wasnt too thrilled with the end result.

So for now these are polished and for sale.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-cla...l#post18689622
Old 03-01-2015, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you use a gloss clear? I think a satin clear may have produced the look you were going after.

BTW, what was your process for polishing the centers...cause it was fast with good results.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I used a benchtop buffer with various buffing wheels and tripoli and white diamond polish.

Quick Reply: Fikse FM5 refinish opinions