Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Best way to get a durable polished or chrome like finish?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best way to get a durable polished or chrome like finish?

I am thinking about getting a set of aluminum OEM wheels with a flat natural finish (machined I guess but smooth) but I want them to have a shiny look like polished or chrome plated. What is the best way to get this done? I don't want the maintenance requirements of polished or chrome wheels. Any suggestions here? Maybe polished and clear coated? I hear the PVD finish is nice and durable but it looks pricey. Anything else?

Any suggestions on where to get this done for a good price?
Old 11-24-2015, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotta pay to play. Polished or chrome = constant cleaning. No way to get out of that, esp if your running good brake pads.
Just search for a local chromer, they usually will polish wheels as well. Last time i checked it was like $200/wheel depending on condition for polishing.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Well I think GM used to clear coat their polished wheels... something like that would be nice. I also got a quote to PVD the wheels for $700 which comes out to $175 per wheel. So hard to justify on an aging car.

Originally Posted by SenorThumpy
gotta pay to play. Polished or chrome = constant cleaning. No way to get out of that, esp if your running good brake pads.
Just search for a local chromer, they usually will polish wheels as well. Last time i checked it was like $200/wheel depending on condition for polishing.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Chrome is way easier to take care of in comparison to polished aluminum. Downside is that it's heavy.

My suggestion is take the $800+ it's going to cost you and buy some chrome or polished wheels.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When I had polished CCW 505a's, I've never had wheels that look as good, but at the same time I've never had wheels that took so long to clean and polish. If a wheel is raw aluminum, it takes a lot of time and effort to make them shine and keep them looking good. Wheels that have a clear-coat on them are much easier to care for, but you don't get that bling factor like you do from a raw aluminum wheel.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure what it is you're wanting if you say you don't want the maintenance of chrome...chrome is as easy as it gets until it eventually fails and flakes. You just wash it and keep it clean.

Chrome is too hard to truly polish but it also resists scratching. "Polishing" chrome is really doing nothing more than getting it fully clean.

Clear coated polished aluminum is next up in low maintenance but doesn't "pop" as much as bare polished aluminum or chrome. I do think it looks less cheap than chrome though. Again with this you would just keep them clean and maybe polish with a paint compound.

Best look and highest maintenance is bare polished or brushed but that is going to be the furthest from what you want.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The opinions on chrome have me lol'ing....heavy, high maintenance, lmao.

OP...chrome is easy to maintain if you can manage soap, water and a rag, but expensive done "right". That means surface prep, metals used, infrastructure to process correctly, etc. Advanced Plating in Tennessee are one of best, imo.

Another option and probably the most realistic in your case is to consider a powdered clear...
Old 11-25-2015, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info guys. Lots of good info on the traditional finishes.

So nobody has heard of the PVD coating? They lay down a layer of powder coat, fog it with a chrome vapor, and then powder clear over it. I believe GM has starting using this process on OE wheels. It looks like chrome but is durable like powder coat... which I can tell you from experience is very durable. I found a big name shop in Detroit that does it for $175 per wheel.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Every finish thats been mentioned here is a shiny/gloss/mirror finish that is going to require regular cleaning or the wheels will look dull and crappy. So every coating/method requires the same maintenance except for polished raw alumn which requires more maintenance. So the whole no maintenance thing or whatever is out the window.
Durability wise, unless you curb the wheels or get a real poor chrome job, idk what you're expecting? I've only really seen painted wheels have durability issues.
As far as the PVD coating, i've never heard of it but it looks pretty cool. I doubt the finish is actually comparable to chrome but i bet its right there with polished cleared alumn. If the finish is actually comparable to chrome, it would be a decent weight savings over chrome...
Cost wise, where do you end up after buying stock wheels and then coating them? I have a feeling your damn close to the cost of a set of decent chromies.

So it seems like it really comes down to weight and shine. If you don't care about weight, go chrome. If you do care about weight, go PVD since you seem to be leaning that way anyways. If you end up going PVD, post up some more info on it. If you could get a comparison, in the sun, of real chrome vs the PVD that would be cool.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
Thanks for the info guys. Lots of good info on the traditional finishes.

So nobody has heard of the PVD coating? They lay down a layer of powder coat, fog it with a chrome vapor, and then powder clear over it. I believe GM has starting using this process on OE wheels. It looks like chrome but is durable like powder coat... which I can tell you from experience is very durable. I found a big name shop in Detroit that does it for $175 per wheel.
I have heard of PVD finishes....but not with exterior pieces for OEM's due the inability to pass certain testing requirements....car cleaning chemicals specifically. Of course OE testing is borderline "non real world" at times, you can always roll the dice....

Quick Reply: Best way to get a durable polished or chrome like finish?