Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Do your Alumastar 2.0 look like this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Do your Alumastar 2.0 look like this?

My 17x4.5 Alumastar 2.0s came in the other day and I was wondering about the finish on them. They look like their scratched in certain light, but I think it's the machine surface coming through the anodizing. Maybe the anodizing isn't a good coating? Does anyone else's look like this? I don't recall my RTS wheels looking like this. Kind of disappointing for the $$$

Old 09-27-2016, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So in other words there's no way to correct this, as there is a clear-coat on top of them?
Old 09-27-2016, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
So in other words there's no way to correct this, as there is a clear-coat on top of them?
I don't believe there is a clear coat over the anodized finish, but otherwise no there is no way to correct this.

I don't think its scratches, but more the cutting marks in the metal showing through the black finish that looks like scratches
Old 09-27-2016, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kkslds
I don't believe there is a clear coat over the anodized finish, but otherwise no there is no way to correct this.

I don't think its scratches, but more the cutting marks in the metal showing through the black finish that looks like scratches
I bet you could wet-sand it and then use a really good metal polish and it would come out. I did that with a set of CCW's I had a while back, and they turned out really good.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I bet you could wet-sand it and then use a really good metal polish and it would come out. I did that with a set of CCW's I had a while back, and they turned out really good.
If they are an anodized finish this won't work. I would not try to sand them you will burn through very quickly and they will look terrible.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the black spoke RTS, they have that same finish if you put them in the right kind of lighting like you have shown. That's the machined lines that I've seen nearly all anodized wheels have. You won't see it in outdoor sunlight.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by badfbodyz
I have the black spoke RTS, they have that same finish if you put them in the right kind of lighting like you have shown. That's the machined lines that I've seen nearly all anodized wheels have. You won't see it in outdoor sunlight.
My rear wheels came in yesterday and they are the same way. It was just surprising when I opened the box and seen that, but when I hung them on the car I looked from every angle possible and I couldn't notice anything. The anodizing must be somewhat transparent in the right light I guess
Old 09-28-2016, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clear anodising is possible. Looks like it has not been given so much love after getting the main machining marks off, final touch up is probably not machine done though - it's too random. When you get that with machining, even on thick matte black anodising under the right light, it is usually very symmetrical and orderly. One company I work for tends to keep lightly sanded machining marks in their equipment in some areas, as a mark of difference to all the stamped cheap crap out there. Let's just say the looks are not very important in the application at hand...

Quick Reply: Do your Alumastar 2.0 look like this?