Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

315x40r17 Tires for wet and cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 315x40r17 Tires for wet and cold

I have an 02 ws6 TransAm m6 and have been dealing with tire choices. I currently have 9.5x17 front zr1 replicas on the front with a good set of copper 275x40r17s, which were on all four when I got it. My issue is now that I have the 11x17" zr1 replicas on the rear with 315x35r17 goodyear eagle SS drag radials and they are extremely dangerous to even attempt to drive in the rain. When I had stock rims with factory sized nitto nt555r extreme drags on the back it worked great in the rain, better than the coopers. I know choices are limited in the 315x35r17 size but does anyone have advice on a really grippy dry weather tire that doesn't feel like ice in the rain? I was looking at a set of Mt s/s et streets. I know the nt555r is really narrow in a 315 and would look stretched on an 11 " rim. The goodyear eagle ss tires look and hook great when dry but get a death wobble under hard acceleration towards the top end. The good year eagle SS is P315/35R17 ,11.0 tested rim, 25.8 overall diameter, 12.5 sectional width, 11.6 tread width, 27.6 weight. I'm looking for something of the same size or barely smaller because I had no rubbing or mods needed to fit the oemwheels brand zr1 wheels and these tires. Any advice is grealty appreciated. These tires will be used for hard driving on the street. I'm done drag racing but if I get an itch I can swap the 26x10.5 mt et streets back on. I just run drag radials all the time because normal performance stree tires spin way too easy. Let me know what yall think.

Thanks,
Jonathan Hudson of Hudson Arms
Old 11-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Best tire you will find thats very good in dry.....and awesome in the rain. Nitto 555 Extreme. No drag radial is good in the rain.

MT e/t streets will be hell on wet roads.

If you can find Goodyear GS-D3 tires....they are even better than Nitto's.....but hard to find. They hooked better for me then BFG Drag radials on my car.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've installed a pair of Nitto Motivo's in the rear, but am disappointed in their wet weather grip, particularly around turns. I did a 270 when making a u-turn through a puddle with just a small amount of throttle.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks yall,
I've had 275 nitto nt555r extreme drag tires on the rear and they were the best wet weather tires I've ever had on any car, no s**t. They gripped great in turns even when patting the throttle enough to where you'd think they would slide out a bit. My 275 mickey thompsonET streets barely saw wet roads since they were on dedicated wheels for track days only but they weren't terrible with careful driving in the rain. The 315 eagle SS drag radials are worse than driving on ice. You can't even touch the throttle with out lighting them up and spinning out (and I'm a pretty good drifter). There is just no traction or control at all with them. I'd get the nt555r in 315 but from what I've seen they aren't any wider than my 275 ET streets. All of my 275s were mounted on factory 17x9 ws6 rims or 17x9 centerline billets. Now I'm running 17x9.5" zr1 replicas in the front with some nice 275 cooper's that came on all four corners when I bought the car. Now on the rear I have the 17x11 zr1 replica deep dish with black centers and machined lip, they currently have the goodyear eagle SS 315s. They're crap in the rain and must be messed because when at WOT towards peak HP (398whp@5500 rpm) they start flopping and cause death wobble even at 35psi. It tosses the car left and right like death wobble on a skate board, but only accelerating hard. So I can't drive WOT on dry roads and I can't drive at all if it's wet out. I'm just looking for a good tire that won't spin everytime I hit the gas and is pretty safe to drive in the rain

Thanks again,
Jonathan Hudson of Hudson Arms

Quick Reply: 315x40r17 Tires for wet and cold