Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Tire Rotation

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Rotation

Has anyone heard about the concept of "tire rotation"?

I had been reading up about it online recently but never seen anyone do it in reality. It's where the rear tires and front tires are switched out periodically in the interest of wheel safety.

Something to do with rear tires/ front tires wearing out differently as they are used differently by the car.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah. Front driver switches with rear passenger.
Front passenger switches with rear driver.
This is assuming they're not directional tires. If they are, you simply swap the same side front to back.

But this is an F body forum. Most of us never rotate because we have staggered or mismatched combos. I have 315s out back, 275s in the front and they're also directional. So no, they can never be rotated.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"In the interest of safety"??

No, it's done with the idea of evening out wear, between the front and rear tires......as long as they're the same size, and as long as the wheels are the same, too.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The advantages of a square setup. I rotate my 315 tires every time I do an oil change. 5000 street+track miles on a sub 100TW tire and they're all hardly worn.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
"In the interest of safety"??

No, it's done with the idea of evening out wear, between the front and rear tires......as long as they're the same size, and as long as the wheels are the same, too.
Hey Leadfoot, should it be done something like this:

https://www.greasemonkeydirect.com/b...nd-tyre-safety

Front with rear. In either orientation. Switch out passenger side rear with passenger side front... or cross them over diagonally.
Looks like a good idea for evening out wear. I'm on it!
Old 03-02-2017, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rioja
Has anyone heard about the concept of "tire rotation"?

I had been reading up about it online recently but never seen anyone do it in reality. It's where the rear tires and front tires are switched out periodically in the interest of wheel safety.

Something to do with rear tires/ front tires wearing out differently as they are used differently by the car.
Are you new to cars? This is a common maintenance thing for most cars like oil changes, except less frequently.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rioja
Hey Leadfoot, should it be done something like this:

https://www.greasemonkeydirect.com/b...nd-tyre-safety

Front with rear. In either orientation. Switch out passenger side rear with passenger side front... or cross them over diagonally.
Looks like a good idea for evening out wear. I'm on it!
First of all, you have to understand that some tread patterns are "directional", therefore they can't be moved to the opposite sides of the car. Secondly, and this is my personal $0.02 worth, I've been a car enthusiast for close to 50 years, and sold custom wheels/tires part time, for a number of years in the mid-70s through the mid-80s. Back then, radials were new to the marketplace, and had some "quirks", one of them being that they sometime developed a "pattern" based on their directional rotation.

Therefore these tires didn't like to be swapped side to side, reversing their direction of rotation (their tread patterns were such that the rotation didn't matter). Based on this, I've always kept tires on the same side of the car, and just move them front to rear....
Old 03-06-2017, 06:50 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Modern Radial Tires can be rotated without issues. Even directional tires run the wrong direction won't hurt the tire but does channel more water into it so you would not want to do it on a safety stand point. Here is some tech information from our website.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=43

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation