Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Pro Stars...yes or no??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Pro Stars...yes or no??

Ok, I know the pic isnt the greatest (quick paint program chop), but do you think the Weld Pro Stars would look good?

I was thinking about doing 15x3.5 in the front and 15x10 in the back...with 26x11.5 ET Streets....

LMK what you think...
Old 08-12-2004, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think for the money they are the best looking drag wheel for our cars. Bogarts are alot nicer but a hefty chunk of change. I'd say do it.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Go for it I might be getting me a pair soon.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

centerlines solid wheel looks good on dark camaro's. get a 27 inch tall tire... 26 just didn't fit me and 28 seems to be just a bit to tall
Old 08-17-2004, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

I like the Pro stars =)
Old 08-17-2004, 07:10 PM
FormerVendor

Here's an interesting comparison from a weld prostar to our Bolted RT's from one of our customers Tim LeGross.

This is an untouched-non-photoshoped picture. The wheels were actually on the car at the same time when it was shot. The line in the middle is a support pole.

Steve
Pres.
Attached Thumbnails Pro Stars...yes or no??-prostar-vs-bolted-rt.jpg  
Old 08-17-2004, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

That picture says it all!!!!!! Glad I waited on my bogarts!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

I'd go for the Pro Stars, my buddy used to have them on his SS and they looked badass. If you have the money in your piggy bank, go with Bogarts for sure.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

You'll be happy with your Pro-Star's. They look awesome on F-Bodies.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:05 PM
FormerVendor

That picture really isn't too fair comparson as we're comparing a top of the line drag rim with an entry level economy line rim. Using economy minded material will not result in an end luster and polish thus the reason why you cannot polish a weld prostar rim to the depth and color of a Bogart.

On a side note, just to throw something a little extra in for you...

Running prostars on your car instead of using a set of Bogarts is like leaving an EXTRA ~50 lbs of static weight on your car. (converting rotational weight to static weight).

I see guys spending a good amount of money just to save that kind of weight...for the dollar differences, I think it is worth it. Wheels are one of the main parts of the car that either make or break it's appearance. A car with bogarts definitely make it go POP-BLING

Steve
Pres.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Here's mine:

Old 08-18-2004, 12:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve10
That picture really isn't too fair comparson as we're comparing a top of the line drag rim with an entry level economy line rim. Using economy minded material will not result in an end luster and polish thus the reason why you cannot polish a weld prostar rim to the depth and color of a Bogart.

On a side note, just to throw something a little extra in for you...

Running prostars on your car instead of using a set of Bogarts is like leaving an EXTRA ~50 lbs of static weight on your car. (converting rotational weight to static weight).

I see guys spending a good amount of money just to save that kind of weight...for the dollar differences, I think it is worth it. Wheels are one of the main parts of the car that either make or break it's appearance. A car with bogarts definitely make it go POP-BLING

Steve
Pres.

Steve,
I think if Bogart could make a less $$ wheel they'd sell tons of them. Nothing fancy, just a simple wheel with the correct offset. I know it can be done....look at the Centerline Telstar series. Cheapest wheel out there, just the wrong offset. Why can't they do something like that for mid-$200's?

Craig
Old 08-18-2004, 08:24 PM
FormerVendor

Craig,

We do offer a less expensive economy style rim similar pricing to a weld though we do NOT recommend using them on our heavy cars...especially on the street. This would be the 2 piece designs i.e. fly lite, fly star or classic star. These still retain high-quality materials...though not rated for heavy cars.

Since it seems most guys are using P1's on the street...without issues of bending or breaking(*disclaimer...against our recommendations), this is just asking for trouble using the 2 piece rims...

We cannot build them to fit around the LS1 brakes easily also...similar mods like welds must be done to make them work...

These are the reasons why I don't really discuss using them on f-bodies.

Last edited by steve10; 08-18-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:37 PM
FormerVendor

On a side note, we could lessen the cost of the P1 rims by using less expensive materials BUT it would not have the appearance or quality that Bogart rims are known for.

There are companies out there whom sell to a lower market $ value customer i.e. wallmart...and there are high-end companies out there whom only sell to the more discriminating customer..i.e Neiman Marcus. Typically either customer will not shop in the opposing stores as they are not "in their range of products identity".

I feel Bogart rims would classify in the higher-end range of products as well.

Bogart=quality, this does come at a price. Not everyone can have them, not everyone wants them. For the guys whom do have Bogart products know that they have an outstanding product with quality and workmanship.

They definitely are set apart from the rest of the masses.

lol this is starting to sound like a commercial now..

Steve
Pres.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Bogarts are not for everyday driving, so most people do not want to spend the Bogart price to use them only a few times a year.

Once a competitor comes up with drag wheels that fit and are priced reasonably, they will sell like hot cakes. I will spend a few hundred on wheels to use for drag racing a few times a year, but not more than that. Like many LS1 owners, I just want to stretch her out and see what she is running a few times a year .

However, if I were a professional drag racer, I would buy the Bogarts. They are nice wheels.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:23 PM
FormerVendor

Irvine,

Just to clear up a few discrepencies, Weld prostar/draglites as well as other drag rims are not for everyday street driving either fwiw. In fact, welds stamps a large "for drag race use only" emblem on the spoke of the rim.

I feel we stress more that the rims are for drag racing...bogart P1's are actually VERY strong...it appears that most guys use them for everyday street use without any issues. (once again, I cannot recommend this due to legal implications)

If you were running a rim that stated "for drag race use only" on the rim and stopped by the police, and they saw this, you can get a ticket or even be towed for using a non DOT approved rim.

Bogart does not stamp the rims on the outside surface areas which detracts from it's appearance. It is marked on the inside shell where the tire is mounted. Once the tire is mounted you cannot see it:-)

The rims are not for everyone. Weld does have a nice economy style rim, it just take a bit of work to get them to fit correctly and you give up some weight gains. There are added costs involved that folks don't mention. You need to grind the calipers, you need to purchase spacers, and it takes time. This should be considered in the overall cost of the rim.

In the end, your giving up quite of bit of weight savings. To save 50 lbs of static weight for using Bogarts over a prostar set is a good savings. Is it worth it? Is it worth purchasing other small $$ items like a cold air induction kit for a few hundred...or other small parts which add up just to gain 1/2 of a tenth...Is it worth spending 700.00 on a front suspension tubular setup to loose 35 lbs? It all adds up in the end, they all help. It all depends on how far you want to go.

Once again, this is an economy series rim and it really is a tough comparison to a high end product albeit weld alumastar 2's or bogart P1 rims which both are in the same price-range and quality. Since we design them to be a direct fit, it makes it an advantageous rim to run.

If economy rims are ok with a person, then I suggest they choose them. I will tell you though, I see many guys whom ran prostars etc changing over to Bogarts in the end. It comes down to they are trying to save as much weight as possible.

My feeling is bite the bullet, get the best from the start. It will cost less in the end. Bogart rims retain their resell value. I dont know one drag rim customer whom was unhappy of their Bogart purchase.

Steve
Pres.

Last edited by steve10; 08-19-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I'm one of the first people who put drag rims on a LS1 F-Body and I did Welds. The problem is caliper clearance.

If I were to do it all over again I would probably get Bogarts simply because the caliper grinding was pretty extreme. I run 15x10's in back with no spacer.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:07 PM
FormerVendor

John,

we need to convert you :-)
Old 08-19-2004, 04:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have Welds on my car. The exact setup you are looking at. I love them. Yeah the Bogarts are nicer but I could not justify the $$. A little paint on the calipers and you would not know I spent time with the grinder.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

What other drag wheels can go on without grinding that look close to as good as the Welds do? I don't like the Convo pro's.