Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

If you have/had Smoothies II .. Please chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question If you have/had Smoothies II .. Please chime in!

I'm considering a set of Smoothies II [ 17 x 10" with 285/40/17 KDW all around] ..

I'd like to hear from you guys about this wheel in regards to:

1 - How much do they weight ?

2 - How hard are they to maintain ? Do you have to clean'em every day, twice a week... ?

3 - Any vibrations on the steering with them ?

A member posted his/her experience and here's the quote:

I have had major problems with bad vibrations. These wheels are very difficult to balance! The material used to make the wheels are very soft. Anytime a rock hits them, they chip. You can sand them down and make them look good again, but it does take work. They are extremely heavy, but that is to be expected since they aren't a racing wheel. The wheels MUST be polished on a regular basis otherwise they begin to turn a rusty brown color. The wheels are very difficult to keep clean and after washing, you MUST make sure the inside of the wheel isn't holding any water because the second you drive off, your nice clean wheels will have to be washed all over again. The Smoothie is a very affordable wheel and they look great... they just take alot of patience and time to keep them looking good! It isn't a wheel that I would use for daily driving... more of a "show car wheel".
This has got me wondering if I should infact buy'em or not ? This is my daily driver ..

Please share your thoughts and experiences on this!!

Thanks... as always
Old 09-05-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212654

Pain to clean, im lazy, mine balanced fine though
Old 09-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Everything but the part about them chipping is true. I have never had that problem. I put some zoopseal on mine and it makes it a lot easier to keep clean. I have the 17x10 with 274/40 KDW on mine, great tire.

Make sure you get the water from behind the wheel after cleaning. You wont make that mistake but once.

They are heavy. I think with the tire mine were somehwere around 60-65lb.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they are heavy wheels, as they are not racing wheels

however, the biggest problem with them if getting all the water out of the inside of the wheels when you wash them, if you dont get it all out it splash's back on wheels.

as far as polishing if you keep up on it once a couple weeks is fine. i polish mine with billet polish and then put a few coats of wax on them... repels water spots and keeps them looking good for weeks.

mine balanced just fine also, however they still shimy a little but i think its due to me using kumho 712's and not a better tire like a KDW

if you are lazy, get a chrome wheel, if you can sacrifice polishing a little every couple weekends then get aluminum. i love the shine of aluminum wheels.