Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Newb question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newb question

I have three questions, but they are related in my mind, so I'll post them allh in one thread:

QUESTION #1: What are the benefits and drawbacks to changing wheel and/or tire sizes? I've read a lot of posts on here, done some searches, but it still seems kinda vague to me.
Why would I go to 17", 18", or even 19" wheels, instead of staying with my stock 16"?

QUESTION #2: How does going with a wider rim affect daily-driver manners? Is is just more traction? Does the extra weight make much difference in gas mileage? Wouldn't it slow down 1/4 mile times with extra weight?

Logic says a narrower, smaller tire has more psi making contact with the road for better traction, but then again I realize that rubber heats up, and that may change the behavorial dynamics of gripping, I just don't know. I think bigger tires "look" better, and the propensity for people on here to go with bigger wheels/tires tells me that there MUST be an advantage to them as well.
Someone please explain this to me, I'd like to understand.

QUESTION #3: I've got a 3rd gen Formula that has stock 245/50/R16 wheels/tires. I've seen some really nice rims I'd like to get, but they are only 8" wide (Same size as my stock wheel). Am I shortchanging myself if I stay with this size (daily driver with occaisional street race, and looking at hitting strips next summer)? Should I get one set of rear wheels for "daily" use, and swap on different ones for "strip" use? Or should I just go with larger 4th gen wheels (and the necessary spacers), right from the get-go?

Last edited by Adam's89FormulaLS1; 09-14-2004 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

#1. Bigger wheels and wider tires get you more handling and looks improvements.

#2. A wider wheel can adversly affect road manners. A wider tire grabs the road imperfections so some like it some don't.

A lower profile tire typically rides harder, so regular driving more road feel occurs. But the advantage better handling.

A lower profile tire is going to typically hurt straight line performance. The side wall is usually too stif to give, so the tire in turn just spins.

A wider tire typically aides in straight line performance since the tire contact patch is bigger.

A wider tire can and will adversly affect fuel economy, take more work to move a bigger tire, but is it much? not really.

Bigger wheels typically are heavier, and will adversly affect your straight line performance since it will take more power to move the heavier rotating mass. But ther are high end manufacturers that make big light weight wheels.

#3. An 8" wide wheel is going to limit your choises on tires, but you need to descide what you want your car to do and how it should look.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUESTION #1: What are the benefits and drawbacks to changing wheel and/or tire sizes? I've read a lot of posts on here, done some searches, but it still seems kinda vague to me.
Why would I go to 17", 18", or even 19" wheels, instead of staying with my stock 16"? better looks, better handling (to a point) I think over 18 and you dont gain any more handling. More options to go wider on tires with the bigger 17 and 18" apps.

QUESTION #2: How does going with a wider rim affect daily-driver manners? Is is just more traction? Does the extra weight make much difference in gas mileage? Wouldn't it slow down 1/4 mile times with extra weight? more traction, straight line and cornering. Quicker turn in. Worse in rain/snow. Slightly heavier so more rotational mass to turn...but usually the traction benefit makes up the difference

Logic says a narrower, smaller tire has more psi making contact with the road for better traction, but then again I realize that rubber heats up, and that may change the behavorial dynamics of gripping, I just don't know. I think bigger tires "look" better, and the propensity for people on here to go with bigger wheels/tires tells me that there MUST be an advantage to them as well.
Someone please explain this to me, I'd like to understand.not sure why you think a narrower tire puts down more rubber? Im confused. However what I can tell you is that during dry conditions, the wider tire on the wider rim will make more contact patch. There are also more high performance options in the 17-18" segment. Meaning more agressive dry tread equalling even more contact patch.

QUESTION #3: I've got a 3rd gen Formula that has stock 245/50/R16 wheels/tires. I've seen some really nice rims I'd like to get, but they are only 8" wide (Same size as my stock wheel). Am I shortchanging myself if I stay with this size (daily driver with occaisional street race, and looking at hitting strips next summer)? Should I get one set of rear wheels for "daily" use, and swap on different ones for "strip" use? Or should I just go with larger 4th gen wheels (and the necessary spacers), right from the get-go an 8" wide is an upgrade, but pretty much limits you to a 245 width tire. Although a 17x8 will be an improvement for you...it could be better. 17 or 18x9 with a 275 or 285 tire is ideal. if you're going to do it..do it right