Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Switching to WELD Wheel 's ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Moz
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Switching to WELD Wheel 's ?

I'm currently running TT'2 (17x9 rim/ 275-45-17 tires front 17x11rim/315-35-17 rear). Im looking to go (Weld Draglite 15x5rim/26-4.5-15 Moroso front 15x10 rim/ P325-50R-15 BFGoodrich Drag Radial rear.

What back spacing do i need for the front/rear on a stock rearend-non lowered car.Also this is my weekend driver any suggestions would be much appreciated.The front is a 26" tire the rear is 28". Any problems?

I know---I am already saving for the 9"

Thank You
Moz
Old 09-25-2004, 01:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to get to the 9's faster, switch to Bogarts instead...it'l be like removing another 50lbs of static weight off your car:-)

Moroso fronts are a great choice, though the rears you may find the ET's or hoosiers a lighter stickier setup better for drag racing. Your ABS will act up with different rear/front diameter tires....Remove the ABS, it's pretty much worthless for drag racing...

Steve
Old 09-25-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by steve10
If you want to get to the 9's faster, switch to Bogarts instead...it'l be like removing another 50lbs of static weight off your car:-)

Moroso fronts are a great choice, though the rears you may find the ET's or hoosiers a lighter stickier setup better for drag racing. Your ABS will act up with different rear/front diameter tires....Remove the ABS, it's pretty much worthless for drag racing...

Steve
What is the weight of a Bogart compared to a Weld draglite?

And He was referring to the Ford 9" rearend, not running 9's
Old 09-25-2004, 12:15 PM
FormerVendor

ahhh saving up for a 9" rear ...I'd get the rear first as the stock rear will be stressed a great deal due to the added traction.

total weight savings for a set of P1 LS1 Bogarts is ~8 lbs. 75% of the weight saved is from the rears. This might not seem like alot, though it is.

I say ~8 as weight will vary with style P1 rim. Building them differently for say an LT1 will also effect the total weight (the rim will weigh less). If one has drag brakes, it is even lighter.

Standard conversion ratios range between 1-6 and 1-8. This means for every 1 lb your rim is heavier, it is like adding 6-8 lbs of static weight on your car. This means, by choosing a draglite/prostar over a Bogart P1 LS1 rim, you are leaving 48-64 lbs of static weight on your car. This is one of the reasons why you see guys stating they are going to drag rims and saving .1-.2 on their 1/4 mile times. OR on the other hand, the guys going with larger heavier rims, they are loosing additional tenths.

Not only are their weight benifits, but fitment benifits as we build them to fit the LS1. No spacers are needed, the issue of grinding to make them fit is gone and appearance is second to none.

Don't mis-interprete my comments please. The economy series weld rims have thier place. It is a decent rim for the price, though there are better options. You have to give up weight, spacers are needed w/a good amount of grinding and quality materials aren't used.

Weld sells high-end rims also that are similar to ours...they don't work well with F-bodies cost is also similar to ours...if cost is your only concern, then weld economy series are the next best option.

Steve
Pres.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always seem to jump on to these "I want Weld Wheels" threads.

First off, let me tell you why you don't want Weld Wheels.
A. They will not fit without grinding (hardcore) the rear calipers.
B. They will not fit unless you use wheel spacers.
C. You will have to replace ALL of your wheel studs with ARP extended studs for marginal safety.
D. They are heavy as hell.

This is first hand information. I used to run Welds, and now I run Bogarts. No comparison on fit, finish, and weight. Bogarts win by a landslide. They are worth the extra $$$. I checked out Steve's website, asked around about his and Bogarts reputation....took about 2 seconds to decide that I was selling my Welds.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you say they are so heavy.. I think my Welds are as light as they come and are SFI spec wheels. I guess to each his own, but I dont run spacers or had to grind on my breaks 15X3 1/2 and 15X10 WELDS
Old 09-27-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

So they were a direct fit onto a 4th gen Fbody? With no grinding, spacers, and your using the orignal stock wheel studs, with the original brakes and axle's??

You got "magic" wheels Lt. Dan!!
Old 09-27-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

You must have some special edition wheels then.

I like the look of bogarts, simple and mean.

I like the whole look of 'Fast SS on TNTs car' looks bad ***
Old 09-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Moz
Launching!

Hey Fast ss on TNT i sent you an E-mail.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:21 PM
dug
Banned

I love how the weld pro stars look. Better than Bogarts imo. Too bads welds dont fit without some work.

How much the difference in price would be with welds with drag brakes vs. bogarts? Will the drag brakes fit welds without any problems?
Old 09-28-2004, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

I feel the quality is night and day, especially in person.

Even comparing a high-end weld rim to the economy line welds is night and day.

Here's a shot of a comparison Prostar to bolted RT rim which is similar though it has bolts on.

Even the picture shows a huge difference. This pic is untouched and had both rims on the car at the same time...not photoshop'd.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Switching to WELD Wheel 's ?-prostar-vs-bolted-rt.jpg  
Old 09-28-2004, 05:44 PM
FormerVendor

Here's a closeup
Attached Thumbnails Switching to WELD Wheel 's ?-rtclose.jpg  
Old 09-28-2004, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

Drag brakes makes things much easier to fit a rim. If you go with a drag brake setup...we would build the rim differently. They would also be even lighter.

Heck, I can build a front runner that weighs ~6.5 lbs with a drag brake setup :-). It also opens your options up to the P2 series rims which are not only light, but more of the weight is directed to the center of the rim.

The only disadvantage is the drag brakes wouldn't work too well for a daily driver...which is something that the Moz is considering.

Steve
Old 09-28-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Welds can be made to fit, and do function well. The Bogarts are a top notch product, and the money spent is justified. For the Weld lovers, here's the WS6 on Pro Stars...

Old 09-28-2004, 09:27 PM
9 Second Club

I love that WS6 !!
Old 09-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Teching In

i am looking to sell mine new slicks and skinnies

Old 09-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Teching In

600 new mt slicks and mt skinnies prostars with lugs and wheel spacers
Old 02-04-2005, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

I just bought ProStars[15x10/5.5BS]to go on my narrowed 9" 3rd gen disc brake rear end.

I have 3" studs allready.

I hear a lot about 4th gens having to grind like mad to get these to fit,I hear practicaly nothing about this from 3rd gen owners,are the brakes smaller on 3rd gen?

I know the Bogarts are better,they are down the road!!
Old 02-04-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like my Welds. They work for what I need. If I was gonna run big numbers with this car, I would be changing out all rear setup & front setup and would be looking for SFI spec wheels so wouldnt really need Bogarts then. (Are Bogarts SFI rated? Not sure?) But do like the look of some of the Bogarts. They are nice but not what I'm looking for right now.

But like they say, to each their own. Not everyone likes what everyone else does.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

02 WS6 TA, thats a killer looking TA! what size welds are those and what size rubber you got out back. the stance on that thing is mean as hell! what springs and/or shocks/struts you got on her.