Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

ZOOPS AND POLISHES, found the best so far

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ZOOPS AND POLISHES, found the best so far

I wanted to give some experience on the zoops since so liitle info is out there. I have a set Torque Thrust II's on my Formula and a set of American Eagle 20"s on my Excursion. I used over the counter polishes for about 6 months(mothers, etc) until I decided to get the zoops. I put the zoops on both rims. I had the kit that even has tire dressing. NOTHING in that kit is worth a crap and I mean WORTHLESS except the the zoops seal and final polish. After 2 months of zoops I am now repolishing by hand. I did it right and tried to not use anything except mild soap as it says. They havent turned as fast as before the zoops but they looked like crap to me again. I am very picky and the zoops just didnt maintain the luster I expect. I have always kept show cars and have won a bunch of times. I know polishes and waxes well. Zoops might be good if you never drive your car.

My findings with only hand polishing:

1. The zoops tire dressing is the worst I have ever used period.
2. The zoops aluminum polish is the worst I have used period.
3. The zoops seal lasts two months if you wash your car weekly
4. There is enough zoops to do 4 sets of rims, and maybe more.
5. ALL auto parts aluminum polishes suck.
6 Best Aluminum polishes in order
a. www.gordsaluminumpolish.com- I just used this stuff for the first time. 10 times faster than any auto parts polish. Even better than zephyr pro 40 by a considerable margin. Extremely fast, very light, uses little liquid, could go along way. Kind of oily which keeps you from using alot.The only thing I will use from now on. A chrome shine is easily reached in minutes. No crap. Maybe 15-20 minutes and youll have the best shine you can get on all 4 rims.
b Zephyr pro40. Extremely good but not the best and it uses alot of product. A chrome shine is attainable but takes many coats.
c mothers, billet, blue crap etc. All crap, I cant get a chrome shine maybe because I wont kill myself polishing.

Summary: I was searching on the net for more Zephyr pro40 because it ran out when I zooped my rims. It ran out because the zoops polish might have been water it sucked so bad. The gords came up on a google search so I tried it. It is killer. So good that after trying just a lip on one of my rims I ended up doing both sets of rims in about 30 minutes and I have a chrome shine on both. I only used 3 socks an one t-shirt. No I dont even know whats in the stuff or who the heck it is that sells it. It is supposed to last long. I dont know that yet.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:45 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the tip
Old 10-14-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry. Have to disagree about Zoops Seal. My Bogarts have maintained there shine for nearly a year and have had nothing but abuse and soapy water. IMO, the stuff kicks ***.

Can't speak for the other polishes and stuff... it it's not available locally I don't use it.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

Well you convinced me. I just ordered a 32oz bottle of Gords for $27.00. I will be using it on my Smoothie IIs. Mothers Billet is what I have been using and it just doesnt provide the shine Im looking for. I hope this stuff works.
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Would that stuff work on rims that have some slight corrosion?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Referefrence zoops:
It really depends on what your willing to live with on the shine. The shine I got with the gords I never had experienced before. My rims after 2 months were probably acceptable to most people. They did turn and it was too much for me. I didnt like them after a couple of months of washes. If you do zoops get the best polish possible before applying the seal because what you see is the best youll have. If your rims are new you probably wont even see how crappy their polish is.
Sunsetz28 I would say its worth a try. If I liked the rims and wanted a shine I wouldnt try to get it by hand any other way. I bought the 32oz bottle too. It worked for me. Its not that much to risk if you like them.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:06 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

I used ZOOP seal on my iForged Senekas.

The process is a pain in the ***, and must be done exactly as the directions state. I took my time and did each wheel carefully...I'm not overly impressed with the outcome.

They do not shine quite as well as when they showed up factory polished. They do stay clean for a good period of time, but they are not just as easy as soap and water... I use meguiar's car soap to clean them, and they do not come clean. There are brown markings from the "final polish" after each time I clean them. It's a pain in the ***... I don't think I'd be able to live with hand polishing these wheels, seeing as the car is driven a lot.

The 3 piece wheels, the Seneka wheel especially are nearly impossible to polish. It would take at least 2 hours each time... On top of the fact that polishing compound would get stuck in all the bolts, etc.

This winter I'm going to figure out what to do with my new wheels. I've got $5500 into the wheels and tires, so they need to look worth it.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome info mario. I have Boyd Timeless 5's and I put 4 coats of Zaino on them when I got them and they held up very well for several months with just washing, sounds about the same as the zoopseal. I have mothers bilet polish 9the top of the line one) and it does take a long time and I couldnt get away without using alot of it. Can't wait to try this new stuff, sounds AWESOME as I was dreading going through that several hour routine of polishing them again.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:48 AM
Staging Lane

mario65- I agree with you on the polishes- Gord's is the best I have found so far- excellent shine without all the work. After polishing I use Turtle Wax's new super hard shell to protect the wheels. I spent a month down at the beach in Florida- car was outside the whole time- absolutely no spotting from the salt air.
A quick wash and they were like I just polished them. Used Gord's
6 months ago and they still look great. I threw out all my other polishes-this is the only one I use now.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

Good to hear PeeDee!
Old 10-15-2004, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

WOW! that is better than I thought PD. I think I am going to try doing them regularly because I can do them so quick and staying on them should make them look better than now. I think if I do it weekly or every other week it shouldnt take but 15 minutes. If I get sick of that I might try a hard wax as you said.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

im sick of polishing, and im selling my wheels soon anyway, so 2 weeks ago i just tried this new cheapo Dupont wheel cleaner that has some teflon coating in it to help keep dirt from sticking to the wheel. theyve stayed cleaner for longer than they ever have before. i live on a really dusty street due to new construction, so usually my wheels are dirty in 2-3 days after washing, but now theyve been clean almost 2 weeks.

only downside is the cleaner in it is not as strong as others ive used, so you have to do a little scrubbing.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

I hope its really that good. I just bought some for my new Centerlines. I'll post up when I get to try it out.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think mothers is a great polish for removing water spots. I use the heavymetal polish to add agood lustre on wheels and it add great protection as well. The zoops isnt even a polish it just helps to protect against corrosion. Since most wheels are clear coated polish you may or may need the zoops. Iforged i think are not cleacoated polish. But my ROH ZS are fully polished & not clear coated
Old 11-11-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Zoop Seal requires you to do exactly what they say in the instructions and use the exact right amount. Most people normally wipe it down too early...it takes quite a while. We have very harsh water here, and a year is what I would expect here. I cant imagine any less. Its worked wonders for everyone I know so far.

Im not a fan of their cleaner.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:32 AM
TECH Addict

I've been using master formula and I think it works very well. After you polish youuse the sealer and then you just have to put a quick coat of sealer on once evry two months or so.

www.master-formula.com
Old 11-13-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

eeeh thats ok i think it works great w/ rims that are clear coated but since mine are not clear coated that sealer didint last very long. ALso that crap w/ the can didnt work like the way they did it. It does polish it up but not to high gloss like the cans they have displayed at shows.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Mario, Any feedback on how long the Gord's is holding up yet??
Old 11-16-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Do you guys simply wash the wheels and then put some polish on a rag and go to town or is there something to it that Im missing?? The wheels are supposed to be dry correct??? Is using a hard wax a good idea since I live in FL?? Thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Do you guys simply wash the wheels and then put some polish on a rag and go to town or is there something to it that Im missing?? The wheels are supposed to be dry correct??? Is using a hard wax a good idea since I live in FL?? Thanks
you wash the wheels either w/ a mild degreaser or just car wash. Then you can go to town and polish away. I wouldnt recommend car wax on polished wheels. if your wheels are silver then you can use a cleaner wax to clean themup but the temp that the wheels get would make the wax last not so long.
you can use this wax
http://store.premiumautocare.net/wheelwax.html

Quick Reply: ZOOPS AND POLISHES, found the best so far