Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Drag rims but........

I want a good set of drag rims, but I don't want to have to deal with

1. Grinding calipers
&
2. upgrading wheel studs,beacause I don't want some nasty stud sticking out when I put the 18's back on.

Are their any drag rim setups that will allow this to happen??
Old 10-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Restricted User

convo pros... sometimes...
Old 10-28-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone else??? NBM2001 what do you mean by "sometimes"???
Old 10-28-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOGARTS ALL THE WAY.... No grinding...
Link
SJM sponsor to the right>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Kyle
Old 10-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depending on what size centerlines, sometimes you don't have to grind
Old 10-29-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like your wanting bogarts. I got my set on order right now and im waiting............................
Old 10-30-2004, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Im having the same deilema, so there is no grinding nessasary with the bogarts, do you need spacers or no?
Thanks
Old 10-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Retired Street Racer

you do not need spacers or longer studs with bogarts...but they are overpriced in my opinion
Old 10-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mdblackz28
you do not need spacers or longer studs with bogarts...but they are overpriced in my opinion
Ya they definatly seem over priced but it dosent really seem like their is a better choice
Old 10-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Retired Street Racer

if you don't mind a little grinding, go with welds
Old 10-31-2004, 04:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mdblackz28
Have you seen them compared to welds in real life? The difference is well worth the few extra $$$ in my opinion. Thats why I bought a set
Old 10-31-2004, 04:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Bogart here, IMO not overpriced, perfect fit, delivered as promised, excellent customer service (STEVE) SJM Pres. and quality is second to none

Old 10-31-2004, 10:43 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Have you seen them compared to welds in real life? The difference is well worth the few extra $$$ in my opinion. Thats why I bought a set
yes, actually i have...dear john, another user on this board, is a close friend of mine and he has them...they are really nice, don't get me wrong, i just don't see paying that much for drag rims if that is what they are used primarily for...there are a lot of car guys using welds, not just f-bodies...that should tell you something
Old 10-31-2004, 10:46 AM
FormerVendor

I'll make a comment on this one....the Bogart rims that we designed specifically for F-bodies are high-end rims. It is difficult to compare the design of a weld prostar to a P1 Bogart. It would be like comparing a corvette to a Geo. I am not trying to create an argument or undermine any person’s decision of choosing a different rim combo.

We are directly in line regarding pricing to high-end built drag rims such as welds high-end rims. Weld manufactures low-end entry level rims and high-end. The reason why weld builds high-end rims is the simple fact there IS advantages to the high-end rims...but it does come at a price as material and workmanship is set at a higher level. The prostar/draglites etc is their entry level rim. There is nothing wrong with low-end entry level rims. High end parts are not always an option for everyone. For the price, you give up appearance, lower quality materials as well as weight. I'm not even considering fitment issues at this point

...If these are not concerns, then by all means, the low-end welds may be your best bet. A Wall Mart shopper may not consider choosing something from Neiman Marcus. Just as high-end rims are meant for a different category shopper...in addition, you don't see many Ferrari's on the road compared to Corvettes...different design, different customer different advantages.

On the other hand, for the discerning consumers, there is a large advantage seen to the consumer by choosing a high-end rim. We have the lightest direct fit rim LS1/LT1 rim on the market. Choose a set of prostars/draglites and it is like LEAVING a converted ~50 lbs of static weight on your car! Directly from centerline, theirs rims are heavier the welds. Not even considering appearance, this can be a very important decision regarding one trying to save weight...I see guys spending much more on lighter then stock components just to save 35 lbs.

I suppose appearance is in the eye of the beholder...from a finish standpoint, the materials used in a low-end rim cannot be polished the same as better quality material. The luster of a weld prostar is not close to the luster of a P1 rim....or for that matter welds high end rims.

Fitment...weld prostars have thick centers. Grinding is an issue. You either have to do an extraordinary (scary) amount of grinding to make them fit without spacers, or a good bit of grinding with spacers. Since the rims are very thick to start, using spacers makes it even worse. Try running stock studs through them and you'll find they make it half-way through! 3 inch studs really are required to pass tech at the track. A good amount longer then stock is necessary to even be safe to drive on the road. Centerline rims I don't consider being a choice for F-bodies as they do not manufacture a 10 inch rim with the correct BS for an LS1/LT1. Unless your drag class your running in forces you to run a smaller width tire, an 8 inch rim is too small for the larger tires which fit ...i.e 26x11.5 tire. Even our 8's in comparison to welds and centerlines are set closer to stock BS vs the others whom are .5-1 inch less BS(varies with year)...bringing the wheel out of center in relation to the wheel well. If you don't like the way some drag front runners protrude, our rims may be another consideration...

Bogart rims have the best of both worlds, they are the lightest direct fit rim and they are outstanding in the appearance category. Different cars with varing caliper/rotors rims require different setup to fit. We do not build a few set of rims to fit every vehicle. We realize not everyone is going to use drag brakes which make rim fitment a much easier consideration. The rims are custom built and spec'd to work with each vehicle. You do get what you pay for.

Steve
Pres.

Last edited by steve10; 10-31-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:59 AM
Retired Street Racer

thank you steve, i was wondering if you were going to chime in...bogarts are great wheels, and sjm is a great sponsor for ls1tech...if you have the money to spend on bogarts, do it...it is a great investment, and you won't regret it...i was just giving MYBLKSS other options and letting him know that welds will work on his car if he doesn't mind a little grinding...it will save him a little money for other mods...i did not want to bash any companies or sponsors affiliated with ls1tech, i just wanted to show all the routes that he could take...Matthew
Old 10-31-2004, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

Matthew,

I know you weren't bashing our products. I do thank you for your recommendation. I agree with your comments if money is the main concern, entry level wheels may be a better choice. There are disadvantages to choosing this type of wheel...I wanted to bring this to his (or anyone else reading this) attention.

I realize many people are not wheel experts and may feel one drag rim is like another...there are differences, and the differences can be substantial.

Steve
Pres.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:32 PM
Retired Street Racer

agreed...thank you for e-mailing me back with the prices...i also need a line lock,lol...thanks
Old 10-31-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by steve10
Bogart rims have the best of both worlds, they are the lightest direct fit rim and they are outstanding in the appearance category. Different cars with varing caliper/rotors rims require different setup to fit. We do not build a few set of rims to fit every vehicle. We realize not everyone is going to use drag brakes which make rim fitment a much easier consideration. The rims are custom built and spec'd to work with each vehicle. You do get what you pay for.
This is why I bought bogarts. I agree 100%.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:24 PM
Launching!

i agree with predator-z steve is a super guy and was a great help. i really couldnt afford the wheels but he sure tried to help me find something to fit my budget. thanks again.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Launching!

I know I am a little bit behind on this topic but when I searched this was the one post that had the same questions as me. I never heard of the bogart p1 rims. I had an 87 gn with the draglites on a 15 inch rim and a 26 inch MT ET DRAG SLICK. I loved them the way they looked and hooked. I definetely do not want to grind my brakes, nor do I want to put longer wheel studs on my 02 ws6 since I have come to like the factory wheels. So I hope I can find what I am looking for in the bogart website. I also wanted to know that if those wheels could fit on a 10inch wide tread width on the slick.