Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

chipped lips of wheels....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chipped lips of wheels....

Hey guys

I bought a set of used Hawk rims (newer style) and on the very edge of the wheel, they have a few small knicks (like damage fomr mounting tires and what not) but they are very small....but you can feel them when you run your finger along the outside of the wheel...i am planning on getting them powder coated, so the other stuff (cosmetic stuff) will be hidden...but i was wondering how, if possible, to fix the small chips...any info, appreciated!

T
Old 10-27-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sand them smooth, before powder coating, very easy, the other thought, are the chips in the metal or just the OE coating?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See...that's not what i'm sure of. I don't know if the chips are out of the coating or the actual wheel construction. If i sanded them, what would i have to do??
Old 10-28-2004, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you are going to have them coated, you need to get the orginal "coating" removed. Whether by a chemical stripper, or by media blasting. Then once the old coating is removed you can see what you need to do to get them into tip top shape. Also, if you have a poweder coater lined up, they may be able to take car of everything for you.