Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Anyone ever went to 245/45/17s to avoid rubbing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever went to 245/45/17s to avoid rubbing?

I've been running 275/40/17s on all 4 corners with the car lowered quite a bit for about 9 months now. I'd never had a problem with them rubbing up front until over the weekend. Also, I'd never read on here or CZ28.com of anyone having a problem with this setup.

I had the car loaded down with luggage, a full tank of gas, me ( 270lbs ), and 3 lady friends (approx 120 lbs each). This was the first time I'd ever had the car full of people and gas since I lowered the car actually . I made it about 25 miles when the front passenger side tire went out on me... I was doing 75MPH when the front started to shake a bit. This was after I had bounced a couple of times after going over the joints of 2 bridges that were one after another... I pulled off the road and found that the ENTIRE inside of my tire was chewed off. It looked like a can opener was put on the tire and slit open approx 75% of the diameter of it. The inside tread was rubbed off as well down to the wires, the area that was rubbed off was approx 2"s wide. I was surprised that the tire didn't blow it... it seemd like it was slit open and all the air just escaped, thankfully

The only thing that looks like it would rub against is the Upper A-arm? I'm guessing that where the car had a full load AND was lowered, it caused the two to come in contact? As I said before, I'd never had this problem before. I pulled the front drivers-side tire as well and found signs of where it too had rubbed against something, it wasn't nearly as bad as what happened to the other side but there is one strip about 8"s long on the inside of the tire where the wires are showing. Looks like something bounced against the tread a couple of times, then dug the rubber out down to the wires for 8"s, then bounced a couple of more times.

I purchased (2) used 245/45/17s and put them on the front earlier today. I'm going to test them out to see if I have any other problems with rubbing. Maybe even try to emulate this past weekend and load it full of people and a full tank of gas and drive a bit then pull the wheels and check. I did a search on a couple of F-body boards and didn't see any posts related to this. I would PREFER to keep it 275/40 all around but if the 245's would cure the problem, then I suppose I'll have to go that route.

If it helps any... I didn't have the car aligned after I lowered it. I didn't have a problem with the car pulling to one direction or the other nor did I have an unusual tread wear? Would having the car aligned if I was to get new 275/40s help any with this problem?
Old 10-28-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

I ran 245's on the front of my '02 Z-28 on Z06 wheels and they worked out fine. They just don't fit square with the wheel. That's the only thing I didn't like about them. Just not quite wide enough for my taste.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, weird.

Never heard of that, I run 275s and there's too much clearance. I'm planning on 315s nexxt time around on 17x11s

Dope
Old 10-28-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont see why it would really matter about all the weight you had in the BACK of the car, i.e. gas, luggage, backseat passengers...
im not sure though, that is deffinitely odd