Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

how much$$$ to widen a wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I need a tire and wheel wiz!!!

hey does anybody have any expeirence when it comes to widening a wheel... I want 315/35/18 on the rear of my WS6 but the wheel im getting is only 18/10 and that defanatly will not fit a 305 or a 315

Last edited by SLP/Drew; 11-13-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Exclamation I need a tire and wheel wiz!!!

all right the wheel im getting is 18/10 with 41mm offset, if i widen it to 18/11 will I have any complications with offset and it fitting on my TA with a 315/35/18 size tire? I need a real wheel and tire expert for this problem

where is todd?

also one more question for the front 2 wheels on my car....since im getting the 18/10 for the front with 41mm offset is that wheel to big and fat to keep stock 275/40/18 tires up front???

thx guys i appreciate the help, dont have much expeirence so any and all help is needed

Last edited by SLP/Drew; 11-13-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

all right ive narrowed the problem down more to a specific question

Q: Will widening an 18/10 wheel with 41mm offset to 18/11 change the off set at all and make it not fit? will one inch change the offset? if so by how much
Old 11-13-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

in NEED!!! feed back on this one...and its not goin to the bottom untilll i get todd or someone to answer my question
Old 11-13-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SLP/Drew
in NEED!!! feed back on this one...and its not goin to the bottom untilll i get todd or someone to answer my question

you NEED to do a search.

They cant just widen the rim anywhere. There are certian places that it can be done. I was going to do this but then I found out that the only way they would fit is with spacers. That is not an option for me especially at high speeds. Another thing that kept me from doing this is the weight of the stock rims are HEAVY and widening the rim only makes it worse. The best thing to do is to call the people who are going to actually widen the rims and ask them. They are not a sponsor so I will not list them. Try searching https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php
Old 11-13-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

You NEED to chill the %$#@ out. It is the weekend -- you will notice that the number of people on the boards on the weekend diminishes dramatically. Even during peak hours you aren't necessarily going to get an answer in 16 minutes or an hour!
Old 11-14-2004, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Classic
You NEED to chill the %$#@ out. It is the weekend -- you will notice that the number of people on the boards on the weekend diminishes dramatically. Even during peak hours you aren't necessarily going to get an answer in 16 minutes or an hour!

wtf do you think this is, a resturaunt or some ****? there's nobody catering to you here. have some patience man. sometimes it takes an afternoon or a day for someone that knows the answer to your question to reply. learn some damn patience young grasshopper.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, lay off the guy. He's anxious about his car. Haven't you ever waited impatiently for the UPS guy to drop a part off or something?

SLP Drew, 18x10 w/ a 41mm offset sounds too big for the fronts. That offset will sit the wheel way out close to the fender. Rears won't be an issue unless you are lowered. 18x11 fits w/ a BFH mod and possbily some tucked up fenders. Hope that helps.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
Wow, lay off the guy. He's anxious about his car. Haven't you ever waited impatiently for the UPS guy to drop a part off or something?

SLP Drew, 18x10 w/ a 41mm offset sounds too big for the fronts. That offset will sit the wheel way out close to the fender. Rears won't be an issue unless you are lowered. 18x11 fits w/ a BFH mod and possbily some tucked up fenders. Hope that helps.

Not to jack the thread but how do you tuck up the fenders...i am curious
Old 11-14-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackCamaroSS02
Not to jack the thread but how do you tuck up the fenders...i am curious
Pm sent.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:19 AM
TECH Addict

5point7 share the answer that BlackCamaroSS02 ask you ....some of us would like to know too
Old 11-15-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq

wtf do you think this is, a resturaunt or some ****? there's nobody catering to you here. have some patience man. sometimes it takes an afternoon or a day for someone that knows the answer to your question to reply. learn some damn patience young grasshopper.
You want to be a mod so bad...

Lay off geez, if you're going to reply and be a jerk you could at least have some sort of constructive answer to the original question. All you do is go around telling people WTF...

Anyways.. as to the original question, the way wheel widening works is that they add the extra width to the back of the wheel, so that it adds to the width up under the fender. If there are no clearance issues you dont need to run a spacer, but if you have rubbing you would have to either massage the inner fenders or get a billet racing adapter from skulte.com. They hold up well at high speeds on the strip.

The only places I know of that will do wheel widening is www.fixrim.com (dallas location) and wheel to wheel powertrain was said to be doing it in the future (sponsor). The cost is about 200 per wheel and its about 2 week turn around time.

Here a couple links to cars that have had their wheels widened and are running small adapters.

http://community.webshots.com/album/64119298LauBpK
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/469107

Both owners are members on this forum and may be able to help you further.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dduncan

Lay off geez, if you're going to reply and be a jerk you could at least have some sort of constructive answer to the original question. All you do is go around telling people WTF...

SRfastZ, basically there is a lip about 1 inch wide around the entire inside of your fender. Cut about three slits in this lip, each slit being about 5 inches apart. Each five inch section then needs to be hammered in upwards toward the car with a rubber mallet. Be careful not crack your paint though. That's how I tucked mine to fit 17x11's on a lowered Formula, along with the BFH mod to give more room on the inside fenderwall.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dduncan

Anyways.. as to the original question, the way wheel widening works is that they add the extra width to the back of the wheel, so that it adds to the width up under the fender. If there are no clearance issues you dont need to run a spacer, but if you have rubbing you would have to either massage the inner fenders or get a billet racing adapter from skulte.com. They hold up well at high speeds on the strip.

The only places I know of that will do wheel widening is www.fixrim.com (dallas location) and wheel to wheel powertrain was said to be doing it in the future (sponsor). The cost is about 200 per wheel and its about 2 week turn around time.

Here a couple links to cars that have had their wheels widened and are running small adapters.

http://community.webshots.com/album/64119298LauBpK
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/469107

Both owners are members on this forum and may be able to help you further.

There is no reason for him to updated his posts every 10 minutes. He will not get an answer any faster. Ive seen on several other posts where he throws a fit if he does not get an answer as soon as he posts. This is not the way this works. On top of all of this...the answer was in a search.

Quick Reply: how much$$$ to widen a wheel