Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

MT's vs BFG's (DR)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT's vs BFG's (DR)

Went to get some BFG-DR's and told my bud recommended the MT's, saying they would hook better and last longer. Said the BFG's chunk really bad and only last about 5k miles and the MT's would last longer because they seem to burn off smoother. Dunno, maybe that's why they are $30more per tire
I thought I'd get a second oppinion between the 2 tires and see how long the MT's are holding up as of today.

BTW: I don't drive in the rain and don't wanna have to do massive burnouts to hook with my 4.11's, so I'm trying to stay away from Nitto.
Thanks,
Kyle
Old 11-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Launching!

with either one you'll have traction issues due to lack of drag suspension. I'd go with the BFG's personally. Also, the theory of "the bigger the burnout, the more traction" is false. John force burnouts only waste tires. Either set you get, spin them up just enough to haze a little and stage fast. If your burnout makes it so you cant see infront of you till the smoke clears, thats too much. If you can smell it and barely see it, thats perfect.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I talked to him again.
He said that only the top layer of the BFG's is sticky and once you do ~10 burnouts, they wont stick worth a crap anymore (the more you use them, the less they stick). Said the MT will stick like new until they are completely worn down.
That's the first time I've heard of that

BottleRocket, that is exactly what I mean. What I've read is that it takes a huge burnout to get Nittos to stick better than street tires, and I only wanna spin my tires enough to clean em.
I might just say screw it and see if I can hook pretty decent on Nitto's without having to smoke them.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

i was running the bfg drag radial on 16'' rim they hooked pretty good at the track but i got my torque converter and H/C set up the were worthless that's why i went with ET's .I say go with ET's just to be on the safe side that's just my opinion.good luck
Old 11-18-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I saw a mustang on the new Mickey thompson Drag Radial pull a 1.3xx sixty foot and a 8.50 in the qt mile. It was at the track this past sunday. He ran once and they booted him for no chute.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would have to say the M/Ts would win all the way around. I just got a set on my car today actually 325/50/15
Old 11-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BottleRocket
with either one you'll have traction issues due to lack of drag suspension. I'd go with the BFG's personally. Also, the theory of "the bigger the burnout, the more traction" is false. John force burnouts only waste tires. Either set you get, spin them up just enough to haze a little and stage fast. If your burnout makes it so you cant see infront of you till the smoke clears, thats too much. If you can smell it and barely see it, thats perfect.
The extent of the burnout will depend greatly on the size and compound of the tire. You cannot make a blanket statement saying that "If you can smell it and barely see it, thats perfect." Most people do not perform a long enough burnout at the track in order to properly heat them.

The BFG's are known to chunk easily. So far I've seen and read nothing but great things about the M/T DR's.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Launching!

thats true. but most of the time that will work. but i hate seeing the guys on street tires do a burnout through the staging lights. thats just not necessary
Old 11-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Launching!

thats true. but most of the time that will work. but i hate seeing the guys on street tires do a burnout through the staging lights. thats just not necessary
Agreed about steet radials.

Just drive around the water box!
Old 11-18-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies guys, I had to make the decision a few hours ago. I just got fed up with all the DR bullsh*t and went with some 27" ET streets.
This car is my sunny day only warrior and the extra 1" of ground clearance can't hurt with my 3" duals. Hope I made a good choice, the mileage is all stop and go traffic w/some strip time. So blowing them up on the highway shouldn't be a problem.
Should I run a tube in them, and why/why not?? And what PSI for the street?
Old 11-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fastta
Agreed about steet radials.

Just drive around the water box!
Yeah, always drive around it and back into it no matter what anyway so you dont track water down the strip. But with street tires, I avoid the box all together and just spin the tires for less then a second just to make sure they are clean
Old 11-19-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, always drive around it and back into it no matter what anyway so you dont track water down the strip. But with street tires, I avoid the box all together and just spin the tires for less then a second just to make sure they are clean

Same thing I did when I was racing on street tires.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

[U]Ok what about the 17" MT drag radials, anyone tried them?