Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What size spacers do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size spacers do I need?

I have a 99 Trans Am with 99 silver C5 vette wheels. 17x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear. They look ok on the front but the back looks tucked in too far. What size spacer do I need to install on the back to make it look right? No worries about stud length. I have ARP chromoly studs ready to put on and they are a 1/2" longer than stock. Help me out fellas.

Problem 2: I haven't installed the ARP studs on the back yet, but I have installed them on the front. After the new studs on the front my center caps won't fit on the wheel b/c the studs are too long. I need about 1/4 more clearance. Can I add a spacer to the front to correct this problem? Will it make my wheels look like turd in the front? Do I just need to cut the studs to length and not use the spacer? I prefer using spacers b/c I don't want to ruin the studs by cutting them down to length. I need some experience fellas and someone who has been through this before. Please help. :help:
Old 12-11-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE:

I just measured the amount of thread sticking out of the back side of the nuts on the front wheel. I have 5/8" of thread left on the stud that keeps the center cap from fitting on the wheel. After my measurements I have concluded that it would take at LEAST a spacer of 1/4" to 5/16" to make enough clearance for my center caps. How bad would this make my front wheels look? I would probably have to use the same spacer on the rear after I install the new ARP studs. At least this would make the rear wheels look right. I'm leaning more towards using a 1/2" spacer on the back.

I am going to buy my spacers on ebay and I know they are 5 lug, but what inch centers? 5 x 4.5" centers or 5 x 5" centers? I don't know what the bolt pattern is on the F body. I want to buy a good spacer that won't cause me troubles in the future.

Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 12-11-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think that I may have an offset problem causing my disappointment with my vette wheels. I posted this in the "will it fit" thread. Someone please help.

I have OEM 1999 silver C5 Vette wheels (non Z06) on my 1999 Trans Am. The rear 18x9.5 wheels tuck in too far in the wheel well and look like crap! The front 17x8.5 would also look more aggressive if they would come out a little more than they do. What is the factory offset for these wheels? I just bought new tires for them with the plans to upgrade to the new C6 chrome wheels soon so I will be staying with the 17x8.5 and 18x9.5 setup. What offset front and rear do I need to buy to make my car look great?

I run a 245\45\17 on the front and a 285\40\18 on the rear. You may have needed to know that to help me. Thanks
Old 12-12-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On the front, too be honest, if the wheel is where you want it, cut the studs.

The rear, probably going to need a 1/2" spacer to get the look you want.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think that the front wheel would also look better if it were out a little farther so I think that I will use a 1/4" to a 5/16" spacer there. Are all of the spacers on ebay about the same quality or should I look for something in particular?
Old 12-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Banned

Just wondering if you got your spacer issue fixed. I can tell you what I've learned about these vette offsets. A 5/16th in the rear improves the appearance alot but I wanted it to come out even further so I got some 1/2" spacers and it's what I got in the rear. The fronts looked like they could come out after that by 5/16th's. I'm running 265/35's on all four though and am lowered so your look will be different than mine. With tires that tall I doubt you're lowered and with spacers you probably won't be able to lower it too much without rubbing.

1/2" in the rear and 5/16th's in the front is a sweet look for my car. BTW you can buy spacers at pep boys and they're not hubcentric. Just an aluminum plate that sandwiches between the wheel and hub.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks alot for the reply. Yes, I read another post where someone was talking about 1/2" spacers in the rear for vette offset wheels. It may have been you. Thanks for the advice about 5/16" spacers up front. Sounds like a plan. I think that this will make my car 10 times better on the look.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/2" in the rear and 5/16th's in the front is a sweet look for my car. BTW you can buy spacers at pep boys and they're not hubcentric. Just an aluminum plate that sandwiches between the wheel and hub.
i think you would want hubcentric
Old 12-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 777
i think you would want hubcentric
Yeah, but if they're not, it's no big deal IMHO, 'cept for the cash you save. I'm running ARP studs and am not worried. Look at it this way, with 100 ft/lbs. of torque on 5 chromoly studs on the spacer, that spacer isn't going anywhere and the studs aren't going to break. Almost like it's just part of the wheel, hub or brake disc itself. Hardcore drag racers use them, import guys use them, and they're used on cars equipped with hydraulic suspensions.

But I'm sure we could go all day talking about this though.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast
Thanks alot for the reply. Yes, I read another post where someone was talking about 1/2" spacers in the rear for vette offset wheels. It may have been you. Thanks for the advice about 5/16" spacers up front. Sounds like a plan. I think that this will make my car 10 times better on the look.
Def. on the rear it will, I haven't gotten around to putting mine on the front yet. This weekend I'll have the studs. I've been waiting for Thunder Racing to get more in and they have. If you need some, they should have just gotten some.

Quick Reply: What size spacers do I need?