Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What are "Jounce Bumper Spacers"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 04:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are "Jounce Bumper Spacers"?

I read somewhere that sometimes, or most cases (as i remembered) when you put on aftermarket wheels along with some suspension work (lowering, shocks, struts, etc), you need "jounce bumper spacers".....what is that?
Old 12-13-2004, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by strictly93z
I read somewhere that sometimes, or most cases (as i remembered) when you put on aftermarket wheels along with some suspension work (lowering, shocks, struts, etc), you need "jounce bumper spacers".....what is that?
I am not positive but I thought they were the "bump stops" that protect the frame from the axle (keeps the suspension from bottoming out and the axle from hitting the frame). Not sure why you would need spacers. I had to cut mine when I lowered my car.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

You should already have them on the car, unless the previous owner took them off. You shouldn't have to get new ones, the ones that are on are fine. You're gonna have to shave them a bit if you're gonna put 11's in the back.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

joeformula- you mean shave the jounce spacers? or the bump stops? or are they the same thing? i'm a little confused.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Same thing. There are two pieces; the actual rubber jouncer and the aluminum plate that holds on the jouncer. It has two bolts that holds it in place (I forgot what size socket you'll need to take them off), take them both off and grind down about 1/8 inch from the side that faces the wheel, then slap them back on and you're ready to roll.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

pardon my ignorance, but i thought that they were located at the bottom of the springs. slp sells a jounce bumper but it says its to stop the tires from rubbing the wells. this is confusing the hell out of me
Old 12-16-2004, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by qwikz28
pardon my ignorance, but i thought that they were located at the bottom of the springs. slp sells a jounce bumper but it says its to stop the tires from rubbing the wells. this is confusing the hell out of me
OK the jounce spacer is there so the rear end doesn't bash the frame... it's a bump stop. The part of the wheel well that gets rubbed from 11's is the jounce spacer/bump stop. It sticks out into the wheel well a little bit. This is why they say to shave off some of your stock ones... or you can by SLP's which are already narower, and just replace your stock ones (why would you do that?). This way the wheel/tire don't rub. Make sense?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6shifter
OK the jounce spacer is there so the rear end doesn't bash the frame... it's a bump stop. The part of the wheel well that gets rubbed from 11's is the jounce spacer/bump stop. It sticks out into the wheel well a little bit. This is why they say to shave off some of your stock ones... or you can by SLP's which are already narower, and just replace your stock ones (why would you do that?). This way the wheel/tire don't rub. Make sense?
the spacers are actually 1/2" thick spacers that go between the bumpstops and the frame. too make the bump stops lower, so that it bottoms out against them sooner, therefore eliminating rub from tires that are too tall.

Im looking at a set on my desk right now. Pointless little buggars.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

that makes more sense now. that would render the slp kit pointles then, thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply: What are "Jounce Bumper Spacers"?