Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Mickey Thompson ET Drag Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mickey Thompson ET Drag Wheel

Just finished thumbing thru my Feb. '05 issue of Car Craft mag and in the "new stuff" section M/T has pics of 2 new Drag race whls--a Pro-Stock style front runner and a wide different style rear. Both are uni-lug design and very sharp looking. Wonder if they've made models for the 4th Gen F-body cars, meaning correct, deeper backspacing.....Also wondering how these wheels compare weight-wise and price-wise w/ Convo-Pro's and Bogarts? Anyone running these wheels yet? WJ
Old 12-18-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey. Everyone check out: www.mickeythompsontires.com They have fronts and rears (15") that should work just fine on our 4th gen F-cars. 15"x10" rears are available w/6.5" backspace!! At last...Someone besides Bogart has seen the light....WJ
Old 12-18-2004, 04:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always nice to have new styles and options. Rear rims: weights seem to be comparable to the welds economy line... The front runners are lighter, though you may need a big spacer which will counter-act any weight savings. ...Don't think anything compares to the centerlines...centerlines seem to be the heaviest drag rim out there. I really don't even consider them a drag rim. These appear to be setup for drag racing setups, not stock style large calipers/rotors/pads.

Only problem is 6.5BS on a 10 inch rim is too small though for a stock setup.
That will stick out ~1inch more then ours as well as welds. Centerlines only option a 6.5 BS also. I'm not certain how fitment is going to work out. My guess is you'll need spacers at minimum.

At any event, they do look very nice.

Steve

Last edited by steve10; 12-18-2004 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Guess another question I have is: Are these M/T wheels strictly a track wheel, or will they be able to be street driven occasionally "to and from" the track? Although the Centerline Convo-Pro is a little heavier than the other "drag" wheels, they readily accept the double-duty role of street-track. They are still way lighter than any of the stock 16"-17" GM or SLP offerings. (I'm talking 15" Convo-Pro's). I know the Bogart's are the "creme", but are they a double-duty wheel as well? Affordability is still a issue w/me and Bogarts. When a double-duty, fairly light 15", good looking, correct backspace, skinny 3.5-4" front and 9"+ wide rear that won't require fenderwell work with a 9-10" tire and is affordable---I will put my Convo-Pro pkg. up for sale and sign up for the Bogarts.....or The M/T's......You know what I'm saying, Steve.... WJ
Old 12-18-2004, 07:18 PM
FormerVendor

It's hard to have the best of both worlds...sort of like using an all season radial...they are never really that great in the summer and not that great for the winter.

I cannot tell folks to use Bogart rims on the street as they are not street legal just like MOST of the weld rims. It would be like me telling folks to use an off-road pipe for street use. True drag rims are built for drag use, not road course use. If you want a road racing rim, then that is the best option...choose a road race rim.

My opinion is that if you feel comfortable using a weld prostar on the street, then on your own choice you should feel just as comfortable using our Bogart rim on the street. The record our rims built for F-bodies is outstanding...I can count on one hand the amount of folks whom had a problem with our rims out of EVERY F-body P1 set ever produced. Anyone whom would damage a rim shell for example, can easily have it sent back for repair for a minimal charge....which is more then what most companies are willing to do...most will tell you to repurchase a new rim which cost at MIN double what any repairs from us costs.

I'm sure you will find most of the F-body cars ARE using them on the streets against our recommendations without issues at all. This doens't mean that they can't be bent or damaged as certainly they can...from history though, the P1 series are proving to be an outstanding durable F-body drag rim setup.

There is nothing wrong with centerline or weld rims, they do have nice rims, some are very reasonably priced for the economy minded person. You do have to give up fitment issues and other weight disadvantages which can add up. Personally if I was going to choose between an economy drag rim, then a weld prostar would be my choice before a centerline...they do not offer correct BS options for an F-body...this means you can either use a 6.5 BS and have the wheel stick out of the fender OR run a small rim and incorrectly stuff a large tire on it or run smaller tires which to me doens't make sense when traction always seems to be an issue. At least weld offers a 10 in a 7.5 BS and the rim is lighter then the a comparable centerline.

They do cost less though so if price is of main concern, by all means, choose the eonomy series welds or centerlines. There are better choices out there, one being our Bogarts. Weld also carry high-end rims that will reap benifits over their economy series...though you will spend approx. the same as our Bogarts. When ours are made to fit F-bodies, I feel ours edge out as a better option. Some of our setups end up being LESS expensive then a high-ended weld rim.

Regarding the M/T's, I really have no experience with them so anything I state really is a best guess at this point. I can only compare what they state, I do not know specifics on strength or durabilty or can make a comparison to any other rim. FEA as well as other testing will show how durable they may be from a theoretical model base. There are variables that can affect durability. Actual use on vehicles will be the deteriming test over time.

My best guess, this is a guess at this point since there is little description of them, they are probably not meant for street use, they are built as a drag rim for drag racing use. Meaning they may be prone to similar issues that weld, ours or other true drag rims are suseptable to. This is like any product though, when you use something for what it's not intended for, issues can arrise.

I want to comment, if anyone is considering these rims, they better save their money as they are in line (actually MORE expensive) then our rims...average price/rim seems to run in the neighborhood of 375.00 EACH for a front runner and 356.00 EACH for a 10 inch rear. They do look like nice pieces though fwiw. In my opinion from a weight standpoint, many of our Bogarts are lighter and less expensive.

Steve
Pres.

Last edited by steve10; 12-18-2004 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:29 PM
FormerVendor

btw, how the heck to I end of writing those long-winded messages...geesh...
Old 12-18-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks. It's great to hear info from someone who positively knows his business.... WJ
Old 12-19-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Anyone price these yet? I called MT, $400 EACH, EACH for a frontrunner, outta my wallet range.

David
Old 12-19-2004, 08:58 PM
FormerVendor

if you read my long winded post (reason why you may have overlooked it:-)), prices were mentioned.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by steve10
if you read my long winded post (reason why you may have overlooked it:-)), prices were mentioned.

I sent you an e mail, are you still online?
Old 12-19-2004, 09:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Damn those look great. I like the spoke style alot.

I also like the American Racing "Trak Star"

They make a lug style front wheel also that matches. That one shown is a spindle mount one.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Very sharp. Pricey, but very sharp. M/T made a ton of money on those "Rader" style wheels of YEARS ago. Got to be a old guy like me to remember those.....They were one of the first "mag" style wheels made.... Anyone else that old around here?? WJ
Old 12-19-2004, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I sent you an e mail, are you still online?
i did too
Old 12-19-2004, 10:18 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Very sharp. Pricey, but very sharp. M/T made a ton of money on those "Rader" style wheels of YEARS ago. Got to be a old guy like me to remember those.....They were one of the first "mag" style wheels made.... Anyone else that old around here?? WJ

shhh when we make comments like that we show our age...yes I remember the style. I'd agree, the rims will probably be very sharp in person...like our rims, pictures probably don't do them justice.