Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Gord's Wheel polish (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gord's Wheel polish (pics)

This is for those who are asking about Gord's polish. These TTII's are 2 yrs old. Nuff said

Name:  P1280007.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  114.0 KB
Name:  P1280009.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  144.8 KB
Old 01-28-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

this would be a good sticky to polish a wheel and show pics and the brand of polish used. So every one gets a general idea on what polish does what.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

That's awesome! Were you able to buy it somewhere locally or did you have to order it off of their website?
Old 01-29-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wasnt all that impressed with the Gords. I did a side by side test against Mothers aluminum polish and Mothers leaves the finish with less small scratches. I tried it on a few different wheels, some well taken care of and some less taken care of, the Mothers always looked better.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

But i heard that the Gords is 10X easier and faster to apply isnt it? people were saying they could do their wheels in like 15 minutes as opposed to 2 hours with the mothers. Also I think the gords is a lot cheaper per oz.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gords is more of a liquid. If the bottle is not moved an abrasive substance will settle at the bottom of the bottle after 15mins or so. The bottle has what feels like a large BB in it for shaking purposes. Rub product on, let dry to a haze then buff off. Very easy to use.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
But i heard that the Gords is 10X easier and faster to apply isnt it? people were saying they could do their wheels in like 15 minutes as opposed to 2 hours with the mothers. Also I think the gords is a lot cheaper per oz.
Gords is definately a lot easier than mothers. Mothers just makes a nicer shine.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

yeah I use mothers now and the shine is great, but its a total PITA and makes me not even want to do them. Sounds like the gords is just the same as applying a single layer of wax, than buffing it right off. Like I said...thats 10 times easier. I'll take that over a slight difference in shine any day

Now if i was taking my car to a show than I'd break out the mothers, but for routine shine maintenance, it sounds like Gords is the way to go...
Old 01-29-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, mother's always takes me a few hours to completely do my wheels, Gord's is starting to sound good to me
Old 01-30-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've been using mothers on my TT2s since I bought them. I've tried a few other polishes to find one that takes less work but none shine as well as the Mothers does. I've got a new bottle of Gords that I'm going to try. I have seen a set of TT2s in person that have been polished with Gords and they looked better than my freshly polished TT2s. Plus I hear that Gords seals the wheel so it doesn't have to be repolished as often
Old 01-30-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a buddy who used Gords on his wheels and it scratched them up pretty good. No offense to the author of this thread but those TTII's look exactly like my buddy's wheels did, tons of fine scratches all over the wheels. From a distance it makes them look dull.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
I've been using mothers on my TT2s since I bought them. I've tried a few other polishes to find one that takes less work but none shine as well as the Mothers does. I've got a new bottle of Gords that I'm going to try. I have seen a set of TT2s in person that have been polished with Gords and they looked better than my freshly polished TT2s. Plus I hear that Gords seals the wheel so it doesn't have to be repolished as often
Would those have been mine?

If so they still didnt have much time in them.

Also strippedSS nice job on the wheels, especially around the valve stem, thats always a hard spot for me to get.

I used the red shop rag method when i got the polish in, and it amazed me. I tried it with a MF yesterday on one wheel and got some results but not as great as the red rag for some reason.

As far as the scratches go, I would care to bet I could polish with gords then go over with mothers billet and get a better shine in less time than doing the entire wheel with MB. Gords gets the harsher stuff out, and will leave an amazing shine, but I noticed some small scratchs when doing my wheels. It can be kept to a minimum by using 2+ towels. Let the product haze over then lightly wipe with one towel (little pressure is needed, and this is the easiest place to scratch too, so be gentle) then buff with another clean towel, and use different spots on the towel, changing repetitivly.

For reference it took me over 2hrs to get my wheels 'decent' to me with regular Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and Mothers Billet Aluminum polish. And this was using a Dremel with the small polishing pads on some really tough areas. (I don't suggest this to anyone, as some of the pads are stiffer than others and will scratch like hell) These were wheels approx. 1 month old, that had been through snow - the day after they got put on, rain, and more rain etc... The Gords took around 30 minutes to do a wheel of the same condition to come damn close to the other work, as far as removing spots etc. It also has a higher luster.

Hope this helps someone out. Always, if possible use good quality MF towels from places like pakshak, or others. You can get by with walmart quality MF but they are just that. Nice cotten will also work....
Old 01-30-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Martingale
I have a buddy who used Gords on his wheels and it scratched them up pretty good. No offense to the author of this thread but those TTII's look exactly like my buddy's wheels did, tons of fine scratches all over the wheels. From a distance it makes them look dull.
Show me some polished aluminium TTII's with 20k on them that look better than these. Make sure to post hi res close up pics. I'm not saying these are the cleanest but they aint bad.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a mothers shot

Old 01-30-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by strippedSS
Show me some polished aluminium TTII's with 20k on them that look better than these. Make sure to post hi res close up pics. I'm not saying these are the cleanest but they aint bad.
I'm not saying those wheels are bad. After 20k miles they do look good. I'm simply saying that I've seen Gords polish put fine scratches in the wheels and from what I can see in your pictures it looks like your TTII's have fine scratches. If you look at where the camera's flash hits the spokes you can see some scratches in the finish. Also, maybe it's just the picture quality but the Mothers pictures look better. Again, no offense...not a slam, just my observation.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

I have to agree the mothers picture looks better...as I assumed it would. The aluminum looks clearer whereas the gords has a slight haze to it. Not a huge difference but its there IMO.

Martingale, I wouldnt think they would luck "dull" from a distance as you say. I think they still look shiny, jusy not as mirrored as the mothers.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried Gords, and it was horrable. It did leave a hazy and it never shined as good as the others. The best polish I have found is called Magic Mix.

Here are my Y2K's after a little polish work with magic mix.

Last edited by jargan04; 01-31-2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:06 AM
TECH Resident

Those Y2k's look like chrome to me, they are polished??
Old 01-31-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brandon
Would those have been mine?

If so they still didnt have much time in them.

Yep your wheels looked really good
Old 01-31-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
Those Y2k's look like chrome to me, they are polished??
Yep, they are polished. That is the only way them came from GM.