Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Boyd Coddington

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boyd Coddington

Thinkin about gettin the blasters again, changed my mind for iForged Evos but now im going back.... Just have a few questions.

I searched before asking, and nothing came up, but does anyone know what 18x9.5 and 18x8 bitchin blasters weight w/ air and rubber? Are they heavy compared to other wheels?
I know the AR Rebels and Motorsport Z06s are boat anchors, so how do these compare?

TIA guys!
Old 02-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Kind of off topic but I wouldn't buy anything with Boyds name on it... not even my ex-wifes hit contract.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Their rims diff look really good but their customer service just doesn't back it up from what I hear. I had a set on my car when i bought it and they made the car.

But i'm sure the blasters are lighter than either other wheel you mentioned, you don't have to worry about that.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Boyds wheels look good, but I'm pretty disappointed in the service.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Well im not buying them through boyd, itll be through a sponsor -------> gotta support em
Old 02-04-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1ownzYOU
Well im not buying them through boyd, itll be through a sponsor -------> gotta support em

Lately it dosent matter who orders them. There run out has been way off, and shops are having a hard time getting them balanced because of that. The service and QC have gotten very poor.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

to the top!
Old 02-05-2005, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

On the plus side......the tire shop had no problems getting mine balanced.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Im going to be going 275/35/18 for the 9.5s on all 4 corners, and if it doesnt fit w/o rubbing, im gonna get the 18x8 up front and go with 255/35/18.

Wanted 295 for the 18x9.5 but i was told it wont work.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the BC Blasters in 17x9.5 all the way around. I run 275s on them. They rims alone weigh 23 lbs each.

I know the wheels look good, but please don't buy them. They really are not a quality wheel. I can power polish these wheels before a show, and they don't even shine like an American Racing wheel..
The center is billet and it looks ok, but none of the edges are finished so you can still see the CNC machining on them.
The center caps are horrible. Mine completely faded after about 6 months. In addition, they are made of some material that looks like lead but is very hard. It won't hold a polish.
The outer section isn't billet and it isn't even a quality piece of aluminum. It is full of tiny pits in the metal that just get worse the more you polish it. That metal also won't hold a shine.
The strength of the wheels is laughable. I have 17s and all four of them have dents in the lip. One is from a speed bump that I didn't see (night and it wasn't painted and no signs) and hit at about 15 mph...but it shouldn't have dented the rim.
Finally, when I received the wheels, one of them was warped across the face, which is an unrepairable condition and is the result of poor quality control on the part of BC. I returned that wheel to BC (at a cost of $75), they promptly checked it on their machine and said it was "perfectly straight...it has .0003" of runout" and returned it to me. The wheel wobbles on the balancer, and it is painfully obvious when you put the car on the dyno. It wobbles about 1/4" or so and makes the ride feel like there is an out of balance wheel. So now I'm stuck with a wheel that I can't sell, can't repair, and most importantly can't use but have to because I sold my stock wheels.
I hate these wheels...please learn from my mistake and choose another manufacturer. There are less expensive wheels that are nicer than these things.

Last edited by NOBR8KSS; 02-06-2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

In reference to ur last sentance, like what?
Old 02-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Run away from Boyd!!!!!

I have the "Tuned" wheels. Worst purchase i have made in my life!! It two 3 months to get the wheels, when i did, the backspacing was wrong. Took another 2 months to receive the right ones.

For 6 months, could not get them to balance. Finally found out i needed a hub ring. Did they help at all?? Heck no!! That was even with Discount Tire calling, because I bought them thru them.

After process of elimination, alot of money spent, and alot of B.S. i finally found hub rings on my own that fit, and fixed the problem.

Don't buy them, they are beautiful wheels, but not worth the hassle if they ended up like mine.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1ownzYOU
In reference to ur last sentance, like what?
Off the top of my head....HP Racing, Privat, and American Racing wheels, which I have seen up close and in person, all appear to have nicer construction than my BC Blasters.
I suppose I might be happier with my wheels if Boyd Coddington was willing to fix the rim that is defective. They really couldn't care less about providing customer service, though. Like I said, I'm stuck with a warped rim and the wheels dent too easily. They aren't worth the price!
If you get the chance, go check out a Boyd Coddington rim (not a BC Forged, I can't speak about those) and compare it to any other name brand wheel. You'll see what I'm talking about.
Hell, my daily driver has a set of 16x7 Motegi Racing wheels that I payed $110 each for. They are all prefectly true, have a great finish, and are very light. Plus, they included chrome valve stems, chrome spline-drive lug nuts, and chrome center caps that still look brand new after 6 months in the purchase price. These Motegi wheels are nicer than the Boyd wheels...which I payed 3 times as much for. Boyd Coddington doesn't even send you valve stems.

That reminds me...the opening for the valve stem on the BCs is cut with a plasma cutter or something and then left unfinished. It looks like **** and I can't believe it actually holds air.

Last edited by NOBR8KSS; 02-06-2005 at 08:53 PM.