Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Different Front and Rear Wheel/Tire Size?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Different Front and Rear Wheel/Tire Size?

Ok, I've always had the same size tires and wheels all around on my car. I have been thinking about new wheels for my car, and I am trying to decide whether I should stick with 17x9 or 17x 9.5.....or should I go with wider rims in the rear, like 17x11?

By the way, my car is a daily driver, but it might see some strip time once I get a new rearend (down the road).

I don't think I'll ever get slicks/skinnies, but I would like to run on M/T drag radials in the rear (for the strip and summer, while keeping street tires for everytime else). These don't come wider than 275, so is it even an advantage to run wider rims for me? I might be able to run like 305 tires in the rear with wider wheels (for the street), but is it worth it on the street? I think you can run the 275 M/T drag radials on an 11" rim, but is it a good idea?

I have been running 275 GSD3's all around, but the front ones rub. They are physically wider than stock, and I think this is the problem. I have considered getting like 245 on the front next time I buy tires, just so they won't rub. Is this a good idea? Also, it might be my imagination, but it seems like I'm not getting as good of gas mileage since switching tires. Is this possible? They obviously are bigger and must weigh more, but would it make a noticeable difference?

How does rotating your tires work when you run different sizes in the front and rear?

Does it greatly affect the offset when going with an 11" rear wheel vs. a 9/9.5" wheel? Does it look different?

Sorry for all the questions, I have just been thinking about getting chrome/polished wheels to replace the stock '02 WS6 wheels (kind of bland IMO), and I don't know whether I should stick to 9 or 9.5" all around, go 11" in the rear...and if they are the same all around, should I go with a 245/275 tire combo, stick to 275/275...and if I go with 9/9.5 in the front and 11" in the rear, should I go 245 or 275 in the front? What would I run in the rear?

I'm so confused, can somebody help me out? Do a lot of you guys run a tire/wheel combo that differs in size in the front and the rear?

What do you recommend?

Thanks a ton guys!
Old 04-03-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

T T T
Old 04-03-2005, 09:20 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have a set of TT2s 17x9.5 all the way around with 285 40 17 tires. I think this is great because I can rotate them for good wear. Then for the track I just have a set of stockers with Drag radials on them. I drive alot like 400-600 miles a week so thats my reasoning, but man the 17x11s would look awesome on the back!!
Old 04-04-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You raise more questions . . .

What do you want in the way of performance?
Handling?
Do you want to be able to rotate your wheels/tires?
How much money do you want to spend?
Did you know there are only 2 reasonabl priced off the shelf 17" x 9.5" x 17"x 11" combos?

???????
Old 04-04-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
You raise more questions . . .

What do you want in the way of performance?
Handling?
Do you want to be able to rotate your wheels/tires?
How much money do you want to spend?
Did you know there are only 2 reasonabl priced off the shelf 17" x 9.5" x 17"x 11" combos?

???????
Performance-wise, I just want good overall traction. I really like how the GSD3's grab, but they rub in the front. So unless someone recommends otherwise, I want to go a little smaller in the front...like maybe 245ish.

I would like to be able to rotate the tires, but I know this might not be possible. That is why I asked how it works with tire wear. Do many people run a different size front/rear combo?

Money-wise, I already have bought GSD3's which only have 2-3000 miles on them. When they wear out, I might go with 245 front, and 275 rear (with 9" wheels) or 305/315 (with 11" wheels). As far as wheel costs, I'm not sure. I like chrome and they generally aren't that expensive. I am waiting on tirerack to get back to me on if the ZR-1 replica (made by Sport Edition or something like that) come in 11" with the correct offset. Most likely, I would like to stay around or under about 12-1500 dollars for the set of wheels.

I realize there are not many combos out there with 11" rears. That's part of the reason I'm not sure I want to do it. I might just stick to 9" all around and run smaller tires in the rear. What else is available besides the ZR-1's?

And is it possible that my gas mileage dropped with the GSD3's? Should I stick to 275 all around? What is a good option for me?