Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

255/50/16 tire question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 255/50/16 tire question

First of all i was wondering if mounting these tires would throw off the speedo and second of all i was wondering if anyone had these yokohama a032r competition tires in a hard compound and what they thought about them.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Help would be appreciated please.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the tires are shorter or taller, they will throw off your speedo. How much? Dunno, go to that page and write down the height of those and compare to stock. Just remember that the stock speedo is most likely off to the fast side so adding slightly taller tires may actually make it more accurate.

The second question I can help you with. I've ran two sets of the original "H" compound tires. First off, they are loud,, BFG Mud Grip loud. If that kinda thind gets on your nerves, might want to look else where.

Once you past the noise, they do stick well for a while. These are DOT race radials and they work harden from multiple heat cycling. With the first set of 032s, I played enough to wear them out before they hardened. Second set got hard way bfore they wore out of rubber.

I've got a set of Kumho Ecsta 700s right now and I like them more than the 032s. They have already had more street miles, heat cycles and age than the second set of 032s had. They still get good and soft when heated up. The 032s got terrible hard, no traction at all, worse than my original Firestone Firehawks I think.

The Yoko 032s are a good Open Track tire I think. They are not as sticky as some race radials but should last longer than some of the softer tires. They are just not a good street tire though, even compared to other DOT radials.

If your going to be using these on the street at times, might want to think about Nitto 555Rs.