Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Scratched Rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched Rims

Some jackass Doctor a few years back tried to come into my lane and he would have hit me if I didnt swerve and go to the left. Well it ran me into a curb and the lip of my rims got ate up pretty bad. What can I do about that besides replace them? I heard to re-condition them or something, but then I heard they wont be the same. I dont know. I still heard that is alot. Any ideas? Whats the best thing to do for the lowest amount of $
Old 05-23-2005, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.fixarim.com/
Old 05-23-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I can help. What rims do you have? Were they bent or are they just scuffed up from light curb contact? A picture would be the most helpfull.

I have some TTII's and caught a curb just right and ended up bending the lip out about a 1/4 of an inch. I was able to take 2 hammers, hold one in just the right spot and then hit it with the other one. I was very carefully able to tap in back into shape. There were still some pretty jagged edges so I used the hammer and gently tapped them as flat as possible to get the shape as close to stock as I could. Then I went over it carefully with a metal file to get rid of the high spots. Then it was a matter of using sandpaper to get rid of the scratches. I think I started with 200grit and worked my way up until they were nice and smooth. Then I polished them enough to blend in. Came out real well.

I did this on the car and because the tire was still on the rim, I couldn't get to the area between the tire and rim, so if you look close, you can see it's a little rough. Now if you can take the tire off the rim you should be able to fix it completely.

It depends a lot on the style of the rim and the damage. Any way you can get a picture?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I see you have the stock WS6 rims. Those can be fixed pretty easy. They came with a clearcoat, so after you fix them you might want to put some clear over the repaired area.

Just let me know what the damage is like.