Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Painting or Powdercoating Wheels (Dark Grey)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting or Powdercoating Wheels (Dark Grey)?

I'm SERIOUSLY considering doing my wheels in the graphite/magnesium color the original Z06 wheels or the new C6 wheels are offered in. My question is for those that have painted your wheels, what did you do to prep them and how is the paint holding up? Did you clearcoat them? Did you do it with a rattle can or have a shop do it like they'd paint a car?

What would be the advantages of powdercoating the wheels, or would I even want to consider that?

Also, any cars with dark grey wheels, please post pictures (especially if your car is red) so I can get some ideas of what this color looks like on F-Bodies (as we obviously know it looks killer on the Z06s and new C6s).
Old 05-30-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Powdercoating would be the best way to go. It will hold up a lot better than paint. The paint will chip fairly quick where as powdercoating will last a lot longer. I plan on getting my wheels powdercoated pretty soon.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

was thinking about powercoating mine, but dont have the funds....$30 dismounting tires,$50 stripping per wheel,then $150 for the set being powercoated not to mention $40 bucks for having the tires re mounted and balanced.turns out to over $400ish bucks really quick.

instead I got a little brave and did the duplicolor graphite wheel paint,just taped off the tires and went to town. 2 cans equaling a whopping 10 dollars was more than enough to do the insides and 3-4 coats on the outside of 2 of the rims.I love the way they look.and to those that are concerend with eventual chips and such...Ill spend another huge $5 for a touch up can and keep the rest of that $400 bucks for future mod money

before and after pic...dont have any on car pics as of yet(cars missing a rear end)
Old 05-30-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If they are stock wheels I'd paint them no sense in burning money on stock wheels you are going to just replace later. If they are aftermarket powder coat them since you have more invested in them.