Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

GS-D3 or BFG KD-T/A???

Old 06-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS-D3 or BFG KD-T/A???

I am tryin to decide between the two tires. I have heard that people have more rubbing issues the the GS-D3s due to them being wider than any other 315. Any feedback on what you have and whether they rub and what kind of suspension you have and maybe some pictures would be great

TIA
Old 06-29-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish I could help ya, but only thing I can say is that they prob are wider from even looking at my 245/50/16's that are considerable wider than my same size tires on the front. Hopefully someone with experience in your topic can help you. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant comment on the rubbing issue..but I have never heard anyone say anything bad about the D3's...except price....but I wont have anyother rubber on my car
Old 06-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Teching In

I've got 315/35/17 BFG KD's on 17x11's (CCW's w/44mm offset and 3/16" spacers) all the way around on my 2000. The car is lowered about 1" with GC adjusters, Koni SA, Eibach 600# front springs and 150# rears (don't remember the brand but bought from Sam Strano), Strano sway bars, GW adjustable panhard bar and rear lower control arms, Random Technologies torque arm.

I've done a few autocrosses and the only rubbing issue was the inside of the left rear in the front of the wheel well when in a hard right turn.

I did a track day at Road Atlanta and did not have any rubbing issues at all.

We went thru Chattanooga going north for Power Tour. I-24 fely like it was paved with cobblestones and we had some rubbing on the outside of the right rear when we hit some of the harder bumps in the interstate. We were carrying luggage, etc which may account some of the rubbing.

I've read some reviews where people slammed the KD's in the rain, but we went thru some turd floaters on Power Tour and I never felt any hydro-planing.

I've been pleased with the KD's. They gripped very well both autocrossing and at Road Atlanta. The car felt solid and stayed planted in the corners. As for the rubbing, the pattern seems to indicate that the rear end is slightly right of center, but if I remember right, the axle will move that way when the suspension is compressed. I'm going to re-measure it to check. To be on the safe side, I'm going to tap the inner left fender and roll both fender lips.

I don't have any experience with the Goodyear's, but a friend of mine recently went from the D3's to BFG KDW's (both 275/40/17) on his Firebird. His first impression is that the BFG's have a softer ride. He hasn't had a chance to test the cornering.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Banned

helps alot. I wanted to go with the BFGs but when i went to discount the guy said it would be cheaper for me to go with the GS-D3s. 11s up front???WOW!!! I was thinking of running 11s on mine up front with some 275/40s but dont want any rubbing or clearance issues when i put my DMS springs on
Old 06-29-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

The D3's are wider than a regular 315 but they are a GREAT tire! If you have a lightly modded car they hook better than Nittos. They are an awesome street tire, probably the best out there. The kdw's are a good street tire too, but they dont compare.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

The BFGs are badass tires,but they just wear too fast and aren't as good as the GSD3s in the rain.
Basically BFGs= awesome dry weather traction/ not so good wet traction/ wear fast
GSD3s= great dry weather traction/ great wet traction/ don't wear fast

Search this Thread