Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inflation Suggestions

Here is my setup:
Yokohama AVS DB S2 tires 275/40ZR17
on
17" zo6 replicas. The sidewall says nothing about inflation, the car originally came with 16s. My concern is that even the stock suggestion for stock 17s is going to be marginally incorrect as the tires are a different width. So what is the desired inflation range for my tires? I'm trying to avoid any sort of uneven wear and trying to avoid affecting braking and grip.
I appologize in advance if there is already a resource for this but DTD didn't seem to have any info and I did a search here and didn't find any info. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Im pretty sure there has to be max psi rating somewhere on the tire... Id go with around 30 and see how it wears, not familiar with the tire though.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Launching!

GM recomends 30 psi at all corners on the 17" equipped factory wheels as well, which are also 275 width like yours. I still have 245/16's on, and run 30/28 front/back.
Tire wear is extremely even on all four, and I rotate them front to back every 5k or so.
Play around with the 30 cold psi or so and take it from there. By the way I have Toyo proxess.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

I had toyo proxes on my 16s. Good tires. I've been running around 32 and things have seemed fine. I don't drive the car too often so there hasn't been much wear yet.

Another tire related question. I've seen that the yelow circle on the sidewall is supposed to be in line with the valve stem. Whats the reason for this and what are the consequences if it isn't?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

I run my toyo proxes 4's at 40psi unless I'm at the track then I drop it to 25.

On the circle question it's just the natural balance of the tire helps you put as little weight on when balancing. that's all.

I put a tire on this one honda yesterday lined up the stem and it balanced perfectly with no weights on it. But that doesn't usually happen.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by White2kTA
Here is my setup:
Yokohama AVS DB S2 tires 275/40ZR17
on
17" zo6 replicas. The sidewall says nothing about inflation, the car originally came with 16s.
So what is the desired inflation range for my tires? I'm trying to avoid any sort of uneven wear and trying to avoid affecting braking and grip.
There's no right answer. It's different for every car/tire combo.

The sidewall is not refering to the inflation rate you should use. It simply tells the installers what the max pressure is to seat the bead without damaging the tire.

To really know what is best you would have to try different pressures and monitor the wear, sometimes you have to go through a set of tires before you get it just right. You could spray a white paint line across the tires and then drive it a short distance to see how it wears at a certain pressure. Or use a chalk line to do the same thing. Your looking for an even wear pattern across the tire.

Typically these 4th gens like about 31-33 up front and 27-29 rear. The rear will always use less pressure do to that end being lighter. A lot of people make the mistake of running the rear too high and end up wearing out the center of the tread.

Just get a digital gauge and write down the pressure in the glovebox or something.

I can tell you my 275 Nitto 555RII up front like 34lbs and my 315 Nitto 555R rears like 23lbs for daily driving.

PS, always measure the pressure when the tire is cold.