Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help I F**ked up my rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help I F**ked up my rims

I have polished ZR1's and I used Eagle 1 MAG cleaner without having read the back of the bottle. . After using it I noticed that there were some shitty stains all over my rims. Than I looked on the back of the bottle and It said NOT FOR POLISHED RIMS !!!

Now my rims look like **** and I don't know how to get them back to the way they were.

Does anyone have any suggestions...???

Help me please!!!
Old 07-16-2005, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Can someone move this thread to the wheel forum?

I did'nt notice that forum till after the post..

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-16-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

I would think wash them really good and pick up some Mothers Mag Polish ( comes in a little jar ) from Wal-Mart. That stuff works wonders... maybe claybar would work aswell?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:52 PM
FormerVendor

idk if thats fixable. I'm guessing they are not clearr coated? i would try the mothers polish like he suggested but it may have gotten into the alum.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:55 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Wenol Polish (orange tube) might bring your wheels back to life. Several years ago, I thought I'd ruined a set of Weld Pro Stars by leaving them on the car during the Winter. The road salt did a number on the finish, but I was recommended Wenol Polish to correct the problem. I'd say it brought them back to 99%.

Wenol comes in two grades-blue tube and orange tube. The orange tube is a little harsher, so it's good for the hard jobs. Once it's "fixed", use the blue tube to maintain the finish.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wenol is the ****!
Old 07-16-2005, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys! Do you all know where I can pick some(Wenol) up? Advance Auto,Auto Zone,etc....

Those stains are pretty bad. You can tell where the cleaner ran off the rim and left a trails behind it. Hopefully this stuff will work because if not I'm gonna have to go wheel shopping , and I would rather spend money on performance mods .

Any other suggestions would also be much appreciated!!!
Just in case the Wenol does'nt pull it off of course!
Old 07-17-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well if it doesn't pull it off you could just have the wheels repolished or you could try to do it yourself by wet sanding and polishing
Old 07-17-2005, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Does anyone know how much it usually runs to have wheels repolished?

And if they are repolished, do they look new?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-17-2005, 04:27 AM
Banned

EagleOne Mag cleaner is acid. What you have done is started stripping your clear coat on the rims. Your gonna have to finish stripping the clear coat now and replolish the wheels. Do not sand them at all or use any kind of abrasive.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

My polished ZR1 wheels are not clearcoated... Most of them aren't, but I guess it depends where you buy them. You don't want to use a metal polish on clear coated wheels.

As long as they aren't coated I would try Heavy Metal polish, it's supposed to be some of the best stuff available. If you are looking for something to try locally, Meguiar's new NXT Metal Polysh works MUCH better than Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish and is usually available at parts stores, Wal*Mart, Target, etc.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by quickneSS
Thanks guys! Do you all know where I can pick some(Wenol) up? Advance Auto,Auto Zone,etc....

Those stains are pretty bad. You can tell where the cleaner ran off the rim and left a trails behind it. Hopefully this stuff will work because if not I'm gonna have to go wheel shopping , and I would rather spend money on performance mods .

Any other suggestions would also be much appreciated!!!
Just in case the Wenol does'nt pull it off of course!
Wenol can be kinda tryicky to find, you may not find it locally, but I don' t know that for sure. Lucky for you, I do know of one vendor...Eckler' s Here' s the blue:blue Wenol
Old 07-17-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by quickneSS
Does anyone know how much it usually runs to have wheels repolished?

And if they are repolished, do they look new?

Thanks in advance

I'm not positive how much it will run... I would think around $100 a wheel depending on where you go... I'm trying to guess on the high side.

If they are repolished then yes they will look new.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

My vote is for you to be a ginuea pig in the name of LS1tech and go buy a MOthers powerball and post up your results with it

Justin
Old 07-17-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Unforgiven1
My vote is for you to be a ginuea pig in the name of LS1tech and go buy a MOthers powerball and post up your results with it

Justin
Save your money. It blows.

I've posted about it before. It sucks. I've heard of 1 person that liked it, and that was a review writer for a magazine....

Anyways, If they were polished wheels you may end up sanding them.

makoshark... why wouldnt you sand them or use abrasive polish on them? Even if they were clear coated (highly doubtful) they would still need some form of abrasive to remove the rest. Acid completely ruins the finish on aluminum, pitting it, etc, etc,..... Sanding is much better, if needed done.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

A friend came over to look at my car before I got the ZR1s, he was telling me how aluminum wheels are great because you can have them re-finished (which I knew and was reason I wanted the aluminum rims)... he said a friend with a Porsche sent his aluminum wheels out to be re-finished that had pretty bad damage and costed 60$ a wheel or such and came back like new.

Edit: Thanks Brandon, I was considering buying the Mother's Powerball/Flitz to see if it would help out with polishing my rims... I was also thinking of getting some polishing drill attachments to test out on the rims but havent gone out to get any...

Last edited by Charging TA; 07-17-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had a Mother's Powerball for several months now and love it. However, the Mother's PowerMetal polish that they push with it sucks bad. It's even worse than their Mag & Aluminum polish! I've been using Meg's NXT metal polysh, it's good stuff.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would just go get a polishing wheel for your drill. Thats what I use on my wheels and they come out great.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
I would just go get a polishing wheel for your drill. Thats what I use on my wheels and they come out great.
Thanks! Did you get your polishing attachments local or online?
Old 07-17-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

local, I went to Home Depot and picked one up.. Just becareful because the wheel can get caught on the egde of the wheel and pull the drill if you aren't careful. I wasn't careful on one of my wheels and I had a nice little scratch fromt he chuck of the drill. Only happened once though, after that I was very careful.