Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How much balance weight is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How much balance weight is too much?

I just bought some tires online and had to have tire kingdom swap them out, mainly because they are the only place open this late.

Theres 3 3/4 ounces of weight on one. It's like 6" long! they are stick on weights on the inside of the rim.

Also the tires are BFG G-Force KDWS. They had a hell of a time getting the new ones on and seating the beads.
I've heard the ting of beads being seating using ether and this was quiet close.
I guess this would be a reason they didn't break the bead loose again and try to rotate the tire to a better spot that required less weight?

Does this sound like something you'd be comfortable with?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well since this is how i make my living, i feel a little obligated to answer. There are different ways of balancing a wheel, it sounds like where you took it used tape weights only, on the inside of the wheel. 3 and 3/4 is ALOT for a car tire/wheel in one spot. The way i always balance my tires personally is with the tape weights on the inside, AND the hammer on weights on the inside. It just depends how they setup the machine on whether they can do this. This gives you a better balance and looks just as good as tape weights only. Not all wheels can get the hammer one's though so you might be stuck. And yah, spinning tight fitting low pro tires so that they are lined up on the rim in the best place can be difficult, but it's not impossible. I've got the same tires on my fronts by the way. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that is a bit of weight but it also depends on how true your rims are and how they were balanced and if the tires are round. if they were balanced static (1 strip of tape weights) then it will call for more in one spot than if they are balanced using the alloy 1 or 2 methods. i always balance mine static with a clip on weight on the inner lip and every once in awhile you will get one that calls for a lot of weight. you can rotate the tire to try and get the weight down but with it being late they were probably being lazy. been doing this for years and its hard to say without actually being there.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

what kind of wheels where being balanced? (Didn't see you list them)
Old 07-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies.
The wheels are the stock 2002 base SS rims. They had the factory original BFG's on them so I got the same to replace them.
I watched the whole operation.

Some weights they did put towards the center of the wheel, like that big weight, others have a smaller weight towards the center, with another towards the outer edge.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the wheels seem to be balanced i dont see what the big deal is. But, when you use high quality tires, on a quality wheel, you can get away with out balancing it.

I mounted my firestones on my wheels by hand because it was labour day and no one was open. They dont vibrate or anything, so i have never bothered to get them done. You would never know they werent balanced.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Banned

I mounted my firestones on my wheels by hand because it was labour day and no one was open. They dont vibrate or anything, so i have never bothered to get them done. You would never know they werent balanced.
I know what you mean. I used to dismount and mount all my tires myself.
Just did six on a silverado dually one ton, easy.
Not these BFG's though, I did get one off using a 4.5" grinder to cut the steel around the bead after it was broken and pried up well away from the rim.
Even with a big cut in the tire it was a pain to remove.
I read the G-Force has an extra stiff sidewall, now I believe that...
I figured even a less skilled tire guy with the proper machine could do it easier than I could.
I never had my dually tires balanced either. Drove smooth.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

might just be that you got one bad tire