Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Slicks and Skinnies on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slicks and Skinnies on the street?

How many of you guys are running around like this? With regular radials up front, and some big drag radials out back (I know, not exactly slicks, but its just a phrase), I'd hope for some decent mileage yearly (I drive up to 5,000 miles a year, mainly around town and on the local interstates, and to and from the track about an hour away).

Besides decreased handling and braking due to the smaller front tire, what disadvantages are there to running around like this? What are some good drag wheels that will hold up to regular roads? Just looking for some input. I dont know if I'd rather invest in some full blown slicks and skinnies, going with slicks in the rear and something like a 15x6 up front with a 195 tire or something, or if I should leave the slicks and skinnies for to-from-at the track setup. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Lots of guys run them all the time. You can't get the 15x6 on the front though. You have to run the 15x3.5" Welds or the 15x4 Centerline Warrior/Convo Pro. You don't have as much surface contact on the front, so braking might be affected if you have to get on the brakes hard, and you'll have to grind your calipers or run spacers and longer studs. I've drove on mine a good bit, and you just have to be cautious b/c you can't take corners or curves like a madman with the skinnies on the front.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I'm sure there are some 15x6 wheels out there that would fit, just have to get the correct bolt pattern and backspacing. Aren't Bogarts custom sizes, widths, and backspacings? I'd look into something like that if I went with a permanant slicks and skinnies setup so I could avoid grinding and get a good compromise between a full blown street or full blown strip tire. I'd actually probably look into a 16" front wheel with a 15" or 16" rear wheel depending on what tires were available for each setup.

I like a little bit of handling even though I dont drive like a madman in the curves, so I dont know if I could ever commit to a full time setup, but I'm just tossing the idea around seeing if it would ever work.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know if you've seen the pictures. But there was a car that had a set of Bogarts that I posted on here a couple weeks back. He was running 17x6's up front and 16x10's in the rear. I found it while browsing this site. It was a REALLY nice looking setup. And with the 6" width in the front you're not sacrificing too much handling, and brakeing power.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

You'd need at least a 16" wheel on the front, and the Weld XP's are discontinued. That car with the 17's on the front and 16's on the rear looked really sweet. You can't even tell the rears are 1" smaller.

Quick Reply: Slicks and Skinnies on the street?