Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Bogart vs Weld pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 10:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Default Bogart vs Weld pics

I've got a rear shot with Pro Stars, and then a rear shot with Bogarts, with basically the same tires in back...

I think the Welds are a wee bit more tucked in...

Pro Stars:
http://babyryan.aboutmybaby.com/view...hoto_id=643472

Bogarts:
http://babyryan.aboutmybaby.com/view...hoto_id=643477

Main album:
http://babyryan.aboutmybaby.com/view...album_id=35936

And I know I need to brush up on my web page skillz, I have forgotten the little that I know but I will be learning Dreamweaver very soon... So don't hate on the hosting site bishes!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man im just trying to get a set of welds and you got 2 sets of racing wheels....i like the bogarts but i dont like that they are strictly racing cause the design is just so pure
Old 08-01-2005, 10:38 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

My Pro Stars are getting sold in the near future to a few friends. I would say that these RT's are every bit as streetable as the Pro Stars. I got a used set of the P1 not P2 Bogarts.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:50 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I like the way the Bogarts fit better. Tire seems more flush with the edge of the fender.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
My Pro Stars are getting sold in the near future to a few friends. I would say that these RT's are every bit as streetable as the Pro Stars. I got a used set of the P1 not P2 Bogarts.
Hey John

How do the Bogart P1's hold up on highway driving?

Were the wheels a direct bolt on fit? Any spacers or caliper grinding needed?

I love the D10's and if they're safe on street/highway I'll be saving up my pennies for a set in the future
Old 08-02-2005, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I like the way the Bogarts fit better. Tire seems more flush with the edge of the fender.
ditto!

car looks damned good either way!
Old 08-02-2005, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are VERY close. Actually, from the picture, I can't tell a difference, it is very hard to see something about the thickness of a pencil in difference. It is built to be a direct fit for the LS1, it also is setup so that inner or outer fender area modifications are not necessary as well as no modifications to the bumpstop is needed. The fronts tuck better and the sidewall is more flat.

Since your did not use a spacer and chose to grind your calipers down quite a bit to fit the weld, the weld rear tucks about the difference of the spacer.

From our discussions, I could build you the wheel you have to sit in the exact spot your current weld is sitting, I could have gone even deeper due to what you ground off. Nevertheless, I think you'll be very happy with your setup. Show a few side shot comparisons between the wheels.

For the questions regarding street use, we cannot tell folks to use them on the street since they are not street legal. They are built for its intended purpose drag racing. My typical analogy is typically, "if we designed an off-road cat bypass pipe, we couldn't tell you to use it on the street either...obviously an offroad use item".

For the record, weld indicates in large letters stamped on the outside surface area on many of their wheels "for drag use only", meaning not for street use. Actually, if a police officer stopped you on the street, and saw this, they could tow your car on the spot. Our wheels do NOT have these markings on the outside of the wheel so not to take away of the beauty of the wheel. Bogart hand scribes this on the inside surface (where tire mounts). Once the tire is mounted, you cannot see the words.

If you feel comfortable using a weld prostar/draglite combo on the street, then by all means feel just as comfortable as using ours. Can you bend either, sure you can, you must be cautious just as you would with any drag wheel built for drag racing. I state this with pride from all documented records of F-body setup Bogart wheels, I can count on one hand of how many folks have bent their wheels.

One benifit is IF you bent a wheel, we can repair most damages at a minimal cost to the consumer. Much better then having to re-purchase a new wheel and have a new large paper weight.

Steve

Last edited by steve10; 08-02-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by steve10
For the record, weld indicates in large letters stamped on the outside surface area on many of their wheels "for drag use only", meaning not for street use. Actually, if a police officer stopped you on the street, and saw this, they could tow your car on the spot.
Steve
I thought I saw a DOT ?? stamped on the outside of my Prostars.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:40 PM
FormerVendor

Not on the skinnies you didn't. They are meant for offroad drag race use only. If any part of the wheel being not DOT legal is a concern, the fronts are the largest issue.

Your welds should have a large stamp on them, check to verify...every prostar/draglite skinny i've ever seen state this. It also states it in their catolog as well as many aftermarket vendor sources. The fronts see higher stress loads vs. the rears. I don't believe to date, we've had a customer bend a rear wheel from street use.

The prostar/draglite rears may be DOT legal. Many of welds other drag series wheels wheels fronts and rears are not DOT legal.

See attached bent weld wheel. I've circled the "for drag use only" stamp.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Bogart vs Weld pics-weld.jpg  

Last edited by steve10; 08-02-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

To clarify, I like how the Bogarts sit better. I'm not using spacers in front or back.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok. I must have seen it on the rears.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS69TA
Ok. I must have seen it on the rears.
The front wheels on any street application is what is most important regarding considering damage. They see a much higher stress load due to the size, weight distribution on the car and steering.

This is why I state, if you feel comfortable with the welds, most certainly feel just as safe as with our Bogarts. Just as weld doesn't advocate the use of their wheels on the street, we cannot either.

John, I'm happy to hear that your happy with your setup. I appologize if I've shifted your post. Shoot some pictures over to me and I'll be happy to post them up in our Bogart gallery of wheels F-body section. (include blurb and i'll be happy to have it added under your picture)

Steve
Old 08-02-2005, 02:24 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Not at all, it's fine. What is the reccomended tq for Bogarts? 80? 90?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:30 PM
FormerVendor

12mm 70-80 ft/lbs
1/2" 75-85 ft/lbs

The FAQ bogart section has some tips as well as others in it

Steve
Old 08-02-2005, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

John, definately get some side pics
Old 08-02-2005, 07:58 PM