Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Drag wheels for camaro w/ corvette rotors and calipers...??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag wheels for camaro w/ corvette rotors and calipers...??

Need to know of a wheel that will fit my camaro that has 12 inch rotors and corvette calipers on the car? I tried the 96 series weld wheels, 15 by 10's but the 15's are too small. Will a bogart 16 inch wheel work with the corvette setup and if not, what wheel will work? Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 02:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right now, we do not have a complete working setup. We were working on them awhile back but were sidetracked due to other urgencies.

We do plan on working again on the designs once the new shop is back to normal. (Recently moved from CA to AZ). We possibly can set you up with working rears right now (a few select have been made already for customers) but not the fronts, the whole front/rears are a new design.

Other then that, really to save on cost, weight and fitment issues as well as tire selection, in your particular application, unless your road racing the car, you are much better off changing back to either stock LS1 rotors or smaller.

There are little to no benefits by using corvette style calipers on your car at the drag track. Actually it is a hindrance.

Steve
Old 08-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rotors and calipers came with the car, wasnt my choice, I'll probably end up converting back to stock brakes, thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 03:33 PM
FormerVendor

Your welcome.

You may try a customer whom has converted to drag brakes etc...this way you can buy a used set for a good price when you know they are good. We have customers whom change over...shoot me an e-mail if you like, I may be able to refer you to a few.

Steve
Old 08-04-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have upgraded to the corvette rotors and calipers this past winter. The stopping power is so much better for the road coarse seen, but I want to drag as well. If I buy a set of rims for the rear from you, do you think you will have a 17" version for the front that will clear the 13" rotors?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 08:37 PM
FormerVendor

Brian,

The only thing we have to work right now is the RR wheels. What you’re trying to do doesn't work too well for both applications. The upgraded rotors as mentioned do work very well for road course racing, but for the drag track does little to nothing but make it more difficult to fit drag wheels. I suppose you may be able to grind the calipers quite a bit or add additional spacers but then you risk the integrity of the calipers…something I never suggest to do. If you stick with a bolted style wheel in the back, then we can make a matching RR wheel. We can make a RR wheel fit your application.

The limiting factor from stopping on the drag track is the skinny tires frictional surface area, not so much the actual brakes that you use. The stronger stopping power of the front brakes, the easier it will be to lock up the skinny tires.

You need another car or decide which you prefer better. You can’t have the both of best worlds, you'll have to compromise somewhere albeit better setup for the drag track or better for the road track….or just have a dedicated car for each application:-)

I suppose if I personally had to make a choice, I’d opt for just upgraded rotors same size, and upgraded pads, this way, fitment isn’t so much of an issue. Generally with upgraded aftermarket parts, they can be thicker then stock, so some minor modifications may be necessary to make the wheel fit.