Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Will they fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will they fit?

I'm getting new tires soon need answers. I been hearing that 315/35/17 (nitto tire) will fit on a stock 17X9 rim is this true and does anybody have any pics of them. And will they stick out the side (i hate that). Thanks
Old 08-09-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why would you put a tire that big on a rim that small? You're not going to get anymore of a contact patch then if you were to run the proper sized tire. Geez, I'm somewhat of a newbie but even I know that it's unsafe to run a tire that big on a rim that small
Old 08-09-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mattism78
Why would you put a tire that big on a rim that small? You're not going to get anymore of a contact patch then if you were to run the proper sized tire. Geez, I'm somewhat of a newbie but even I know that it's unsafe to run a tire that big on a rim that small
Old 08-09-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it will fit then wants the harm? And I see some people running them.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00badfnta
If it will fit then wants the harm? And I see some people running them.
If you do a search, you'll see this gets debated a lot.
What's the harm you say? How about the improper fit really increases the chance for a blowout? How about the improper fitment reduces the contact patch so they don't actually perform any better than a correctly sized 275 tire? How about the tire company says it's unsafe and you shouldn't do it?
Old 08-10-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

I wouldn't put them on a 9" rim. I'm pushing it with my 9.5"s.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shane
If you do a search, you'll see this gets debated a lot.
What's the harm you say? How about the improper fit really increases the chance for a blowout? How about the improper fitment reduces the contact patch so they don't actually perform any better than a correctly sized 275 tire? How about the tire company says it's unsafe and you shouldn't do it?
Thats what i'm trying to find out before hand so I dont buy them for nothing. If it does fit then nothing is wrong, but if it doesn't fit then o well. Don't want 275 on b/c not enough traction. Need something bigger with out buy new rims.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

What about some 275 DR's?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have committed the worst sin of all. You can promote the killing of police officers on LS1TECH.com (https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355741), you can say pretty much anything else that you want, JUST DON'T ASK THE QUESTION OF TOPIC IN THIS THREAD! Bear in mind that you are the ultimate Sinner!
Old 08-12-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
You have committed the worst sin of all. You can promote the killing of police officers on LS1TECH.com (https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355741), you can say pretty much anything else that you want, JUST DON'T ASK THE QUESTION OF TOPIC IN THIS THREAD! Bear in mind that you are the ultimate Sinner!
n2oblkz, why do you have to be so difficult . . . there is absolutely no harm in giving HONEST opinions, no jibberish.

As for the tires fitting? Per Nitto's specifications, they will not fit on a 9" wide wheel. . .

Can they be forced onto the wheel? Well sure they can, but will they perform correctly? Nope, the side walls will be curled, warping the belts in the tires. Thus negating virtually all advantage to buying a 315 tire, since the corner tread blocks will be curled up and not touch the pavement.

Or better yet you can reduce the tire pressure to eliminate the curl, causing the tires to over heat and wear out faster . . .

Just buy the right sized tire . . .

And n2oblkz I am leaving this open (for now) for fair honest discussion, if you turn it around, I'll lock it. I warned you once, ther eis no need to be uncivil or rude.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00badfnta
Thats what i'm trying to find out before hand so I dont buy them for nothing. If it does fit then nothing is wrong, but if it doesn't fit then o well. Don't want 275 on b/c not enough traction. Need something bigger with out buy new rims.
You will get the same traction with a 275 (if not better) than trying to squeze a 315 on the same size rim. Not to mention you will actually be safe while doing it. It also looks retarded seeing the side walls stick over the wheels an inch on each side. Just stick to the manufacturer's recomendations and you will be fine. If you want more traction get a drag radial. If you want even more get the mickey thompson drag radials. There is a GTO running 9's on them and they looked no wider than a 275. I also sat there and watched a camaro with a TREX in it (made like 415rwhp) through a glide. It had like a 4000 stall and he couldn't even spin them for more than a couple seconds. I was expecting him to just sit there and spin them, but he could barely get any smoke to come off of em.