Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Fender rolling methods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fender rolling methods?

I recently lowered my car with coilovers and got some of those super fat 315 GSD3's for the rear. I already did the BFH mod. So my fender lip still contacts my rear tires when cornering hard.

I really want to roll the lips up flat
(I don't want to use a fender roller b/c of $$$ restraints and I hear that they are mechanically incapable of rolling the lips completley flat)

So, guys, help me out with some ghetto methods of rolling my fender lips!

I've heard of:

1. Baseball bat method? Can someone explain this in detail?

2. Using Vice grips?? Explain this too, please...

3. Cutting lip into sections then hammering them up? ( I really don't want to use this method)

4. Some strange method of loading the rear and placing an object in b/w so the lips are pushed up under pressure?????

5. Take steriods and do forearm workouts for a year until I can lift my car up and bend the lip up with my teeth?

I would really appreciate any help you can give me. I really want to be able to have my suspension travel as freely as possible without contacting the lip. The offset of my Fikse's (46mm??, 38mm??? not sure...) puts the wheel/tire directly at the egde of the fender (especially with GSD3's) . I sometimes just (eyeballing it) think that even with the lips rolled or hammered or pushed completely flat, there will still not be enough clearance for my tire to tuck in or avoid contact with the fender lip.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use a fender roller. i have the same tires and after months of banging the ******* fender lip and sraping/cutting my tires i had the fenders rolled with an eastwood roller (thanks to 01 red ws6) and i can once again have full suspension travel. its nice to be able to drive the car again like i used to

beforehand i tohught it may not even cure the problem because of how the tire and fender lines up, but it did. they tuck up completely now. it didnt need to be rolled completely flat...
Old 12-14-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is at least one guy on here that has one. He rents it out. Can't remember what the charge is, but he sends it, you use it and send it back. Sounds like a deal to me.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

baseball mat worked for a buddy of mine saw him do it kinda scary but worked
Old 12-14-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slammed-am
1. Baseball bat method? Can someone explain this in detail?
Somebody rolls the car back and forth, while somebody holds a wooden (not aluminum...) baseball bat between the tire and the fender, letting it roll back and forth with the tire. Since the bat has different width at different points, you can use the part that gives you the desired amount of roll. Poor man's fender roller.

You could probably do it with the car jacked up, weight of the car resting on the axle so the tire is in normal position. You could even raise one wheel a little higher than normal (higher than the other one) to achieve more clearancing, and to test how well you did when finished.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Glad you posted this question slammed-am, because I am in the same boat. I don't have a T/A, but I do have an SS. I've got 17X11 ZR-1's w/ +50mm offset and just ordered some BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KD tires. They are very fat, like the GS-D3's. I'm not sure which method I'll use to roll my fender lips, but the idea is scary, because no one wants to screw up their car's appearance. I'm waiting for my tires to arrive in the mail and I know the time for action is coming. At least with the Trans Am's, you have a wider rear fender well than the Camaro's, so you have a little more room to play with. I'm sure my tires will stick out a little bit, but the +50mm offset looks good. I hope more guys respond with methods, tips and tricks on how to successfully roll the fender lips.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

take a hand saw blade and cut 4-5 small slits in the lip and use a RUBBER mallet to bent it safely
Old 12-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Use the tool. I have 17x11 CCW's and 315 BFG KD's on all four corners. I had the same problem with the inner rear fender cutting the tire on hard bumps. A friend of mine has an '02 Firebird and had the same problem.

We borrowed the tool from a speed shop and rolled the fenders on both cars. If you are patient and take your time, it will look like it was done at the factory. We rolled the fenders almost vertical between about 2:00 and 10:00. I can't imagine getting them any flatter short of beating them with a hammer.

No more rubbing.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Small sledge (hammer sized), duct tape, bottle jack, 3 2x4's.
I didn't use a heat gun because I wasn't worried about the paint cracking along the line. Had a shotty repair job from a body shop and it needed to be re-painted anyway. If you used a heat gun and it was'nt 30 degrees out like me, I'm pretty sure there would'nt be any issues.

I taped the lip and took my time with light hits from about 10 and 2 o'clock. I worked it flatter at 12 o'clock and tapered to nothing by 10 & 2. Made alot of passes. No big shots with the hammer.

I got the lip to about 70-75 degrees from the start point and stopped. The 325's were still hitting on hard launches.

Took the wheel off and put a bottle jack in the well with the base against the inside of the it. The sturdy part. Jack horizontal with the piston facing you.

I cut 3 2x4's long enough to reach the ground and go just past the edge of the lip but not to long that it hit the upper rounded part of the wheel well. I nailed them together. Slid the 2x4 post between the piston of the bottle jack and the lip. The 2x4 post was now resting on the lip, pivoting on the piston of the jack (piston is about 2" from the top of the post), and planted on the ground.

I started at 12 o'clock again and slowly extended the jack. Then repositioned
the whole set-up working my way in a sweep back and forth between 10 & 2.
As the jack extends the bottom of the post kicks out toward you. Simple leverage allows you to use your leg to old the post in or move it back and forth to work the posts pressure agains the lip independent of the jacks extension. Eventually the entire lip went completely flat.

I re-mounted the tire and could see I needed a little more. I worked the whole set-up some more from about the same sweep and put a small 1/4" mini flare on the lip. You have to be very careful otherwise you will end up buckling a real nice flat spot in your quarter.

No more rubbing .

Quick Reply: Fender rolling methods?