Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

poishing the lip?

Old 03-12-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poishing the lip?

I hav e aset of black wheels with the aluminum/polished lip. I was wondering if there was anyway to get the lip a lot more shiny, kinda like a chrome. I have used aluminum wheel polish and a little elbow greese but i can't seem to get them to look as shiney as I would like. Anyone know how I can get them to "bling"
Old 03-12-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

back up top
Old 03-12-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wetsand the lip with 2000 gritsand paper then polish it up with some Mothers billit polish.. But before you decide to do that just use some mothers billit polish. I've also used a buffing wheel and mothers and it came out good. Just depends on what kind of shape the lip is in.

I did a show a few weeks ago so I wetsanded the wheels because they were a little foggy. They turned out better than new and they are easy to polish up too. I'm going to try to polish them once a week to keep them looking this good all the time. It's easy to maintain once you get them looking good
Old 03-12-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

the wheels are pretty new, the lip just isn't as shiny as i'd like. So try the mothers billit polish first, then if it isn't shiney enough wet sand with 2000 grit. That correct?
Old 03-13-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

back up top.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bhz28
the wheels are pretty new, the lip just isn't as shiny as i'd like. So try the mothers billit polish first, then if it isn't shiney enough wet sand with 2000 grit. That correct?

Yep that's right
Old 03-13-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want an easy way to do it and have a safe way of holding the car up. While the car is jacked up, let it idle in gear so the wheels spin. the garden hose and a peice of sand paper (wet sand), just hold it on the edge while it spins. it probably satin so start with 600 then 1000, then some rubbing compound, then polishing compound. little effort and they will look like chrome. then throw the front wheels on the back and repeat. just make sure its VERY stable. People might think your crazy but it works, and works fast.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
If you want an easy way to do it and have a safe way of holding the car up. While the car is jacked up, let it idle in gear so the wheels spin. the garden hose and a peice of sand paper (wet sand), just hold it on the edge while it spins. it probably satin so start with 600 then 1000, then some rubbing compound, then polishing compound. little effort and they will look like chrome. then throw the front wheels on the back and repeat. just make sure its VERY stable. People might think your crazy but it works, and works fast.

The lip isn't black just the center of the wheel, I have a polished lip, it just isn't as shiney as I would like. I'm gonna try 01 RED WS-6's way. But thanks anyway.

Search this Thread