Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Rattlecan Redo

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rattlecan Redo

I've seen wheel paint at the local parts store, but how durable is that stuff you know, as opposed to somebody professionally laying on a base/clear? Here's what's up, I ordered some wheels(ZR1 17x11's), they where supposed to be silver without a polished lip, well guess what? They're silver alright, METALLIC SILVER with a polished lip. Anyway, I would like to make them right so they will match the "regular" silver 9.5's I already have. Does anyone who has spraycanned their wheels regret not taking them to a pro? If I use the wheel paint followed with a clear, would it last?

From your experience, what say you?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:38 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

on my other car the the paint on the wheels was chipping an peeling and starting to corrode, i bought thewheel paint from murrays with the clear coat and they cam out nice.

You just have to make sure you prep the wheel properly. Everything came out real smooth and the clear gave a nice glossy look. I spray a couple coats of the silver and sprayed a couple coats of the clear
Old 03-15-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it should be able to last. As a lot of people say, "It's all in the prep." I just compare painting your wheels to painting your calipers. I painted my calipers about a year ago and they're still going strong. I haven't seen any chips in the paint at all. I think when the time comes around, I might just use some high temp paint for calipers for my wheels.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Hope I'm not hijacking, but I've been thinking of painting the center my stock SS wheels black, but two have curb rash, so I just want to paint the lip the stock "silver" color again to hide the curb rash after I sand it out. What rattlecan color matches the stock color the best or is there a better way to do it? I'm buying a gravity feed spray gun soon to try painting an old truck.....would you recommend waiting and trying that or just stick with the rattlecan again.