Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Paint for inside of Z06 knock-offs

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint for inside of Z06 knock-offs

Hey all,

Got some chrome zo6's last summer. Even though the car is parked all winter, I'm still getting some light pitting from the winter, and this has me thinking about painting the insides of the rims (main id and inside lip as well) to keep the chances of corrosion/lift problems to a minimum.

I do take reasonably good care of the rims but in all honesty I can't wash them every other day nor can I wax them bi-weekly, or pull them off the car often to clean the insides up. So I see the paint as a cheap sort of insurance policy.

Anyone done this on thier Zo6's? What did you use? How'd it look?

I'm thinking of just using a gloss black wheel paint on the inside rim, lip, and backside of the spokes...
Old 03-19-2006, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

I had a friend of mine that is a body man do my chrome 10 spoke SS wheels like that. They were pitted and flaking on the inside and I wanted to prevent it from going to the outer surface of the wheel.

He scuffed them really god, used nd etching primer and then used a light gray paint to somewhat blend. I was tempted to do them black. But the light gray turned out fine.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Flat Black POR15 on the insides of mine. Turned out great and totally changed the look of the wheel.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

i havent seen it but i bet it would look bad ***, if not only to set you apart form the crowd. i would do it!
Old 03-19-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I almost bought POR15 last night, but it said it needs a topcoat when exposed to UV, and an etching primer. I'm not quite that dedicated, and it becomes pricey fast. I'm sure that stuff would be the bulletproof way to go, though.

I went and looked around today, and found that Dura makes some wheel paint, but they had no black, and it was just rattle can stuff. I want to be able to brush it on.

So I ended up picking up some old fashioned Rustoleum gloss black enamel in a can. The stuff seems pretty durable and since it's more of a sacrificial paint than for appearence, I'm hoping it should be ok.

Probably going to black or silver the calipers and rusty parts of the rotors while I'm in there too. So it's rapidly turning into a bigger project.

I was targeting this mostly to add a couple years to the rims, but now that I'm thinking about it, the black will actually help the spokes "pop" quite well. Add in the calipers and rotors and I think it'll end up looking quite nice overall.

Pics will be up when I get around to it.