Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Anyone have Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals?

Old 04-17-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals?

I have a couple questions concering these tires in the 275/40/17 size, and want some first hand experience. I'm getting a set tomorrow. I read a bunch of good reviews on tirerack, just wanted some personal input.

1) How is the dry traction in normal city/highway driving?

2) How is the dry handling [back roads, highway on/off ramps ect]?

3) How is the road noise city/highway? Windows up/down?

4) How is the ride comfort city/highway, over bumps, potholes, road cracks, ect?

5) Do the tires tend to follow the cracks in the road?

6) How is the traction at the dragstrip? I know they aren't drag radials, but do they hook pretty good?

7) How is the stopping ability?

8) What tire pressure should I use on these tires in the 275/40/17 size for the street?

Last edited by Chaotic Firebird; 04-17-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My g/f has these on Her WS6. They were on it when we bought her.
Answers to your ?'s
1) Great
2) Great
3) What noise!
4) Ride is nice, ride alot better than my Yoko's on my car
5) Fine, no problems with bumps or cracks taking you where your NOT pointing
6) Never tracked it...hook ok in warm weather, blow real real easy on cold roads, car is A4 not sure of rwhp
7) Stops great
8) I run 35 all around
I did not like seeing these on the car when we bought it but I have ran BFG's and now Yoko's in the same size and when its time for new ones I will get the Firehawks again. I really like them and they are better all around than the other ones I have ran...Just my .02
Old 04-17-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone else have these tires?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I run FS wide ovals 265/40/17's on the front and 285/40/17's on the rear, very happy and plan to buy them again. I drive them every day. Great tires all the way around, handle very well in both wet and dry weather, not noisy, very smooth, hook well for a street tire (nothing beats a nice drag radial), they wear very well and evenly, have taken several long trips on them and never have had a problem at all. They also stop well, responsive, amd no squeals like some performance tires when just a little power is thrown at them at them. I would strongly recommend them as a choice.

I run 32 psi all the way around on the street.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

I've wondered why I haven't heard more about these tires on this site because they have worked well for me. When I was researching tires these really stood out @ tire rack in the review section. especially for the price. They also have a good looking tread and I don't mind the rim guard lip thing - it's really not very noticeable and hell, it's functional.
just don't buy them at a firestone specific dealer! I think they wanted 209 for the things in the size you're talking about. Which I also run. I think I paid 168 @ Discount and that was with the replacement warranty.
I use the WS6 recommended tire pressure of 35 psi.
The post above is absolutely correct. They don't squeel away easily - causing attention your way.
Great dry traction in turning and accelerating. also Great rain traction no doubt about it - I live in washington - believe you me. I have these on the rear only, I should note, but when the time comes I will be getting Wide Ovals for the front too.
I was under the impression a 17 x 9 wheel couldn't take a 285 width well but have since come to understand a 285 size should be fine on that size wheel. If I would have known this at the time I would have gone ahead and gotten the size larger. I guess I'll order the 285's and have them swapped to the rear when I need 2 new tires for the front. I would have rather had all 4 same size but staggered a bit will be fine I guess.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BadAzz96Z28
My g/f has these on Her WS6. They were on it when we bought her.
Answers to your ?'s
1) Great
2) Great
3) What noise!
4) Ride is nice, ride alot better than my Yoko's on my car
5) Fine, no problems with bumps or cracks taking you where your NOT pointing
6) Never tracked it...hook ok in warm weather, blow real real easy on cold roads, car is A4 not sure of rwhp
7) Stops great
8) I run 35 all around
I did not like seeing these on the car when we bought it but I have ran BFG's and now Yoko's in the same size and when its time for new ones I will get the Firehawks again. I really like them and they are better all around than the other ones I have ran...Just my .02
That is pretty much what I'd say. I've had them on for about a year, and they've been great tires. I keep them between 32-35 psi. They run and wear great on the road. Never tried them at the track.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm working for Firestone as a sales manager while completing my grad degree and sell performance tires to fellow enthusiasts for 1 to 10 percent over cost plus mounting and balancing. Discount Tire can't begin to come close to my pricing, so I would disagree about going to a Firestone store to buy them. Like choosing a vendor here to buy performance parts from, dedicate your business with one tire store and they'll take care of you. Just my 2 cents.

PS- a 285 will work fine on a 17x9, I run those on my rears.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I LOVE my 285 wide ovals, I had the BFG KDW's on before and these have 10 times better traction the the BFG's ever did and they're cheaper! Around here you we have discounts for our "clubs" and i picked both up installed for 300 bucks! You cant go wrong with these tires. I got consistent 2.0 sixty foots with these and I KNOW they coulda gone more but my rear end might not.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:04 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joker
I'm working for Firestone as a sales manager while completing my grad degree and sell performance tires to fellow enthusiasts for 1 to 10 percent over cost plus mounting and balancing. Discount Tire can't begin to come close to my pricing, so I would disagree about going to a Firestone store to buy them. Like choosing a vendor here to buy performance parts from, dedicate your business with one tire store and they'll take care of you. Just my 2 cents.

PS- a 285 will work fine on a 17x9, I run those on my rears.
Well it sucks there isn't more of you guys up here.

Search this Thread