Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Ive come to the conclusion GS D3's blow chunks.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ive come to the conclusion GS D3's blow chunks.

My buddy has a full set of goodyear eagle F1 GS D3's on his WS6 with 4.10s and some bolt ons, ive got a lid and catback on stock gears. Both are 6 speed cars. He cant go past m aybe half throttle in the first 3 gears without lighting the heck out of em, i cant get of the line without lighting em like heck and barely moving, if i hit second with any kinda power it just lights em like crazy again. These tires may brake and turn good, and i know they are great in the rain as i had a set on my old LT1 in the front. But they have NO straight line traction to speak of. I should have gotten the pirelli pzero nero M+S that i had on the back already again as they moved out hard even when letting the clutch goa round 3000 rpm, and hit second hard as hell and jsut hooked and went. Im VERY disapointed in these tires. Straightline is NONEXISTANT! Some people try to compare these to nittos drag radial, i sure hope nittos arent this bad! I cant beleive i paid around 240 bux a peice on these tires! Im also getting bad wheelhop at times now too.

This has been your daily public service anouncement, you may now cary on with your regularly scheduled web surfing...
Old 04-18-2006, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know? Im running cheap *** Kumho's and I would take them over any $250 each piece of **** Goodyear, anyday. I would run generic *** Pep Boys tires before I ran Goodyears again. Just goes to show. Name dont mean a thing.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow....

First off, you must have accidently got used ones, because they hook incredibly well for a street tire...as evidenced by the shitload of people on here that LOVE them.

Second, you got RIPPED off paying $240-250 a tire plus installation. Look around...I got my 275/40R17's for $840ish balanced and installed.

Third, if you are getting wheelhop, you need suspension work, not tires.

Not to make you mad or anything, as everyone has their opinion, but these tires are proven man. The Pirelli's are good too, but the GSD3s are a badass street tire.

Just wanted to chime in so someone doesn't get discouraged from buying by reading this thread.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

My pirellis blew these tires out of the water as far as off the line traction. I could launch at half throttle at 3000 rom and roll into WOT within about a second. These things go squirly on me launching at 1500 rpm at maybe 1/3 throttle and i have to peddle the hell out of em to try and keep from completely just blowing em away. These tires are great in all instances but off the line from a standstill traction for me.

I had these on my LT1 and it was the same thing, i ended up going to a BFG drag radial on that car. The pirelli's are very comparable to the drag radial for me. These D3s are a joke in comparison. They can turn stop and are incredible in the rain. But straight line dry traction from a standstill is damn near non existant. I got on it a lil on a turn i take a million times going onto the main street by my house and damn near did a 180. They just spun up like i was on an oil slick.

About the wheel hop, my pirellis had zero wheel hop, not even a hint of it. Hooked pulled hard, banged second slight bark and it wa flying again. These D3s are the complete opposite. Even in the same temp as the pirellis its about mid/high 60s here in chiocago today. Maybe they will get a lil better as the temps come up some more, also they are at about 38PSI now which is kinda high. Im gonna try to go as low as 26 to see what happens. Just seems like a junk tire compared to the pzero's in the same conditions. Ill keep updating this as i try stuff, but i am far far far from happy with these now.

Im wondering if the wheel hop is from the sidewall being taller on these tires and the smaller tires being on the front now. *** of the car sits a lil higher now. Like i said im gonna try some other stuff but it doesnt look good at this point. Just putting it out there for others. Ive always heard nothing but good about these, and im wondering if people were band wagon hopping with liking these or what. Id like to hear from others that run these for the back tires.

Its a 285/40/17 by the way.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Oh and about price, i drove an hour away to get these as they are on a 2 month backorder through goodyear according to my local goodyear warehouses. Many places couldnt get em for a few days to a week and some couldnt get em at all for damn near a month or more they said. I needed em that day as it was my day off and my old tires had belts showing. So i paid the extra for em that day. Tire rack has em for 207 a peice right now, thats the best price i found. But they are at almost 30 bux on shiopping for the 2. So it ends up being about 222 a tire for them shipped. Or i can have em that day for just under 240 a peice. I chose to get em that day.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

I think BlackSS' point is that this is not the best tire ever made and the rubber version of God. There really isnt a BEST tire. Why is subjectivism considered discouragement? I think there is ALOT of bandwagon effect on these boards, and Im glad to see someone actually going against the grain and complaining about a product that gets more praise than it probably deserves(you gotta admit, praise does get kinda outrageous on here- "HPP3 gave me 30HP! . It might be a great tire... dont know. Wont ever find out from personal experience because Ive spent too much money on Goodyears in the past. Its good to show both sides. Its not discouragement...its enlightenment!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy crap man. 38 psi. There is your problem. I run 33 in the front and 31 in the back for spirited driving and could probably get better traction at around 30 but don't like the feel. At 38 psi you're riding on the center of the tire. As for the Pirelli's. Funny because I had the opposite feeling. I felt the Pirelli's outperformed the D3's in every aspect except for straight traction and in the wet. lol That was on a different car though.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

My buddy runs 28 and is far worse then me, althogh he has 4.10s. The tire shop said thats what they blew em up to, i didnt have a gauge to adjust em yet. Like i said ill do more testing and see what happens. But this isnt the first car ive had traction problems on this tire with, and my buddy has found the same. Just reporting my experiences with the tire. If people only post their good experiences with something then everybody will think everything works. Like a HPP3 or airfoil etc etc.

Last edited by BIG BAD BLACKSS; 04-18-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
You know? Im running cheap *** Kumho's and I would take them over any $250 each piece of **** Goodyear, anyday. I would run generic *** Pep Boys tires before I ran Goodyears again. Just goes to show. Name dont mean a thing.
I have to agree with this statement. I had goodyear eagle g/a's and they are good for everyday driving and 'all-weather traction' but as far as their performance claims go i disagree. These tires werent made to be driven more than 5mph over the speed limit and handling is non-existent.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matts22
Wow....

First off, you must have accidently got used ones, because they hook incredibly well for a street tire...as evidenced by the shitload of people on here that LOVE them.

Second, you got RIPPED off paying $240-250 a tire plus installation. Look around...I got my 275/40R17's for $840ish balanced and installed.

Third, if you are getting wheelhop, you need suspension work, not tires.

Not to make you mad or anything, as everyone has their opinion, but these tires are proven man. The Pirelli's are good too, but the GSD3s are a badass street tire.

Just wanted to chime in so someone doesn't get discouraged from buying by reading this thread.
I actually hope people get discouraged from buying them by this thread. Although I've never personally owned any, I've watched a good friend of mine cut a superb 2.4 60' time on his D3s (nearly new at the time). So much for a "slick with grooves cut in it." The "bandwagon" thing that goes on on this board is too much sometimes, and this particular tire is one of them. Once you get to bolt-ons, a street tire just isn't gonna cut it with these cars unless you are running like a 2.73 gear in back.

My $.02.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

I bought these knowing they are a harder compound and should last a while but are supposed to have some good performance too. Thats what i figured i was paying for a performance tire thatll last a halfway descent amount of time. Im not looking to pull wheelies or get killer 60 foots with these. Its my nice day driver that gets some miles on it. I just wish i could get performance at least near what my pirellis could for almost a hundred bux more a tire!
Old 04-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Kumho MX for daily driver straight line traction Or try BF KDWS
Old 04-18-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by y2kmaroonz
Kumho MX for daily driver straight line traction Or try BF KDWS
Just for clarification,

BFG makes 2 KDW-type tires. The KDW (or KDW NT/II) and the KDWS. YOU DO NOT WANT KDWS! You want the KDW, KDW NT or KDW II. The KDWS tire is a SNOW tire.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Get the KDW, or KD and be done with it. BFG is a far better tire than Goodyear.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

KDWS is a Z-rated ALL SEASON tire, but I'll continue to run nitto's anyway.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Cut a 2.1' 60ft on D3's (same 60ft on the stock tires). Cut a 1.9' 60ft on BFG KD's. Nuff said for me, I know diff. day, diff. conditions, yadda yadda. BFG are the only tires that will hug my rear tires for traction. And some $100 Sumitomo's in the front, who says turning is important??

Last edited by 01bird58; 04-18-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

the gsd3 is not a 1/4 mile tire. but buying a new set of gsd3's was probably my best mod yet. they ride great and handle very well. i cut better 60ft times with my stock gsc's.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

The car is deffinatly tracking very well now, my old back tires went to the fornt and the D3s went on the back. Still junk traction but i havnt played with the air pressure yet. They deffinatly track well on grooved roads.

I have 285/40/17 KDW's (original style) on my 96 impala ss. Only problem i had with them is bad tracking on grooved roads, like a highway with alotta traffic and the center of the lane is higher and the lines where tires go are indented. Hope you guys get what im saying. That and they didnt turn to well when pushed hard, but this is a 4200 lb car. The original comp ta ZR4s were much better at making hard turns. They hook like nuts off the line and braking though! Not too shabby in the rain and pretty quiet. If they didnt track so bad id get them.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Launching!

I had 315's on my T/A and wasn't extremely impressed with them at all. I got a couple 2.0 60' times on them, but once I'd hit second the tires completely went away. On an auto car I would imagine they wouldn't be nearly as bad.
My Micheline Pilot Sport A/S beats the snot out of the D3's, and that's 275 vs 315.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Hmmmmm...maybe the D3s are the reason for my shitty 60' times....maybe I am a great driver....lol

In all honesty I cut a 2.02 60' time with my stock F1s with a lid and cat back.

When I went to bolt ons + cam I switched to GS D3s and was only able to get it to 2.32. I know it is not a fair comparisson having over 50 RWHP more on these but they do not appear to hook real well out of the hole.

They are quiet, ride well, wear well, and the tread pattern looks great. If you want to hook out of the hole get a DR. Man I need some DRs

Search this Thread